MS Dhoni The Untold Story quick take: Sushant Singh Rajput’s role of a lifetime
Making a biopic on a person who is still active in their field is risky as their every move would still be fresh in the public’s memory. Director Neeraj Pandey is walking on a tightrope with MS Dhoni: The Untold Story, because the question remains: What could be so ‘untold’ about a story that has already been printed and rehashed on reams of newspapers.
A budding talent gets spotted at the DAV School, Shyamali, Ranchi (Now in Jharkhand), and is pushed to play cricket instead of football, which was the kid’s favourite sport. This arbitrary move would give India its most successful cricket captain in years.
But, this is how we summarise it. We overlook the blood, sweat and tears; the decade-and-a-half of rigorous training, heartbreak, familial pressure and corrupt cricket bureaucracy. This is the time when a local hero Mahi is turning into a shrewd tactician on the ground.
The film has a tone of urgency, like it wants to reach to a conclusion as soon as possible. Here’s a guy who can be restricted, but not stopped. Words such as disappointment and frustration don’t exist in his dictionary. Or, maybe this is his exterior. Underneath he is like any of us.
The typical middle class mindset forces Dhoni (Sushant Singh Rajput) to go for the railway job, but it’s just the beginning.
Sushant Singh Rajput is in the role of a lifetime. With some help from the VFX team, he looks comfortable in Dhoni’s skin. He has aced the ODI captain’s body language.
The makers have mostly focused on Dhoni’s life before he made it to team India, and that gives it a novelty factor.
Keep watching this space for the review.
Follow Rohit Vats at Twitter/@nawabjha
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Pavitra Punia lashed out at those criticising her relationship with Eijaz Khan and reiterated that they do not need the approval of haters. The couple fell in love during Bigg Boss 14.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- The Golden Globes 2021 winners will be announced on February 28 (March 1 in India). Here's what time the 78th Golden Globe Awards will commence and how to watch the show.
- Parth Samthaan opened up about his decision to quit the popular show, Kasautii Zindagii Kay, last year. He said that it had become repetitive for him after a point.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.