2,261 students confirm admissions for seats under RTE in first round
The education department said that 2,261 students have confirmed their admissions for seats under the Right to Education (RTE) Act in schools after the end of first round. According to the department, 3,532 students were allotted admissions across 356 schools in round one, of which, 64% confirmed their admissions.
This leaves 1,271 vacant seats after the end of round 1 of admissions. The education department said these seats will be added to the second round, which is likely to begin on May 21.
“This year, the admission process has been smooth so far. Most of the students who were allotted the admissions, have confirmed the seats. The remaining applicants will get a chance in the upcoming rounds,” said an official from the education department.
This year, over 11,000 students had applied for more than 7,000 seats across the Mumbai region. Under the RTE act, all unaided non-minority schools have to reserve 25% seats at the entry-level for students from socially and economically weaker sections.
In 2018, only 3,214 students secured admissions against the 8,374 seats in 347 schools under the quota.
The education department, which is responsible for primary education, had recently launched an app to register for admissions, keeping in mind those who could not go to guidance centres. Most parents, however, said they did not know about the app, and thus, most of the applications were made from the guidance centre. Education activists have criticised the government for not making any efforts to ensure that parents know about the app.