Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 16, 2018-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Organs taken from brain dead man save four

The victim met with an accident on the Narsi-Mukhed Road and was declared brain-dead after being treated for more than 12 hours

mumbai Updated: Oct 20, 2016 00:30 IST
Sadaguru Pandit
Sadaguru Pandit
Hindustan Times
Organ donation,Organ transplant,heart transplant

Four people with end-stage organ diseases received a new lease of life after they received organs transplanted from a 35-year-old All India Radio employee from Nanded who was pronounced brain dead at the Government Medical College (GMC), Nanded, on Tuesday night.

A 44-year-old man from Kharghar, suffering from dilated cardiomyopathy — a condition in which the heart becomes enlarged and cannot pump blood efficiently — received the donated heart, taking the tally of heart transplants in Maharashtra to 28 this year. The family of the donor, Sudhir Rawalkar, also donated his kidneys, liver and eyes which were transplanted into patients in Pune and Aurangabad.

Rawalkar met with an accident on the Narsi-Mukhed Road and was declared brain-dead at GMC, after being treated for more than 12 hours. Dr Kanan Yelikar, dean of GMC, said they talked to the Zonal Transplant Coordination Centre — formed to co-ordinate, monitor and supervise cadaver organ transplants in Mumbai and the suburbs — on Tuesday night.

“Teams from Fortis Hospital in Mulund, Ruby Hospital in Pune, and Kamal Nayan Bajaj Hospital in Aurangabad, visited the hospital one by one to retrieve the organs till 8 am. We can proudly say we are the first medical college in a rural setting to participate in a heart transplant procedure,” said Yelikar. She said all the donor’s organs were healthy and the body was handed over to his family around 4 pm on Wednesday.

The donor heart left Dr. Shankarrao ChavanGMC at 02.24pm and reached Nanded Airport at 02.37 pm. It was immediately transferred to a chartered flight that took off at 02.41 pm and landed at Mumbai’s domestic airport at 03.54 pm. It left five minutes later and reached Fortis Hospital, Mulund at 04.17 pm. The transplant surgery commenced immediately.

Yelikar said she received a call from all the three specialists, telling her the transplant procedures were completed successfully.

First Published: Oct 20, 2016 00:30 IST