Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 25, 2018-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Teen electrocuted in Mumbai: Cops seek answers from power supplier

Aman Kamra, a resident of Marol Hill View in Andheri (East), was playing football with his two friends inside the society when he was electrocuted.

mumbai Updated: Oct 18, 2017 01:09 IST
Jayprakash S Naidu
Jayprakash S Naidu
Hindustan Times
Mumbai,electrocuted,Andheri
After the teen’s death, experts have called for better power infrastructure (HT)

The MIDC police investigating the accidental death of a 14-year-old boy who died owing to electrocution while playing football in a posh Andheri (East) society said they had written to a private firm that supplies electricity to the society.

They asked the firm the reason behind the power leak.

An investigating officer said, “We have filed a case of accidental death as of now. The death was because of electrocution according to the post-mortem report. We have written to a private company which supplies electricity to the society. We want to know how, where and why electricity got leaked. We will also speak to the members of the society.”

Aman Kamra, a resident of Marol Hill View in Andheri (East), was playing football with his two friends inside the society when he accidentally held a grill to balance himself and was subsequently electrocuted on Monday evening.

After the his death, experts have called for better power infrastructure and asked the police to file a case of criminal negligence against the power supplier.

IPS-turned-lawyer YP Singh told HT, “The firm has to ensure that if there is leakage the supply should trip. Nowadays, we have circuit breakers in every building, which is very common. A case of criminal negligence leading to death under section 304 A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) should be filed against those who are responsible to look after maintenance of power infrastructure in the ground. A suo moto action can be taken by the MIDC police on behalf of the state.”

Lawyer Dr Olav Albuquerque said, “It is a case of gross negligence on the part of those looking after the maintenance of electricity. Strict action must be taken to set a precedent.”

A society member requesting anonymity said, “The society has four buildings and each building has seven floors. Children play in the ground all the time. It was an unfortunate incident.”

“Nobody can be accused of being negligent. It was an accident. Even the parents of the boy see it as an accident,” said the member.

HT tried to contact Aman’s father Ajay, who works in a private firm, but he did not respond to calls or messages.

First Published: Oct 18, 2017 01:09 IST