Admissions to begin on Friday
The admissions process to junior colleges will begin on Friday, Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said on Tuesday after the Supreme Court asked the state to extend the Best-Five policy to ICSE students as well.mumbai Updated: Jul 14, 2010 01:20 IST
The admissions process to junior colleges will begin on Friday, Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said on Tuesday after the Supreme Court asked the state to extend the Best-Five policy to ICSE students as well.
The government had filed an appeal against the Bombay High Court verdict that had struck down the state’s Best-Five policy for SSC students saying it was discriminatory to students from other boards.
Junior College admissions had been stayed pending the SC’s verdict.
“The detailed schedule for junior college admissions is being prepared and will be ready once the government sanctions it,” said an education department official. The schedule will be placed before the government on Wednesday.
The state’s technical partner Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Ltd will make the necessary changes to the software now that the Best-Five scheme will also apply to ICSE students. “As ICSE students’ percentage will be based on subjects from different groups the software will have to be amended so that students can fill in the online form accordingly,” said the official. The change will not take more than two days.
Marks of SSC students are already available online to the education department as the SSC board had, for the first time, declared its marks online this year. ICSE students will however, have to fill in the data on the online forms themselves.
The website for applications, www.fyjc.org.in, that had been temporarily suspended will reopen on Friday and students will be able to fill in and submit their forms.
The entire admissions process will take approximately 35 days once it begins, and is likely to finish by August 10.
First Published: Jul 14, 2010 01:17 IST