Fewer students opt for online admission
Around 20,000 fewer students applied for online admission to first year junior college (FYJC) in Mumbai region this year till Monday, which was the last day of submitting fresh applications.mumbai Updated: Jun 16, 2015 00:39 IST
Around 20,000 fewer students applied for online admission to first year junior college (FYJC) in Mumbai region this year till Monday, which was the last day of submitting fresh applications.
Last year, the number of students applying for online admissions was 2 lakh as compared to 1.82 lakh this year. Students whose forms are incomplete have been given time till Tuesday 3pm to complete the process.
The deputy directorate of education, Mumbai region was surprised at the drop in the figures, especially as Secondary School Certificate (SSC) exams had recorded the best-ever results in the last 50 years, crossing the 90% mark. “Since the SSC results were good this year, we were expecting the applications to rise to 2.5 lakh,” said BD Phadtare, deputy director of education. “Also, we had expected more IGCSE students to apply offline as they got their marksheets in time for admissions.”
He said the number could increase by nearly 5,000 on Tuesday. “We will keep the site open till 3pm for students to complete filling the forms,” said Phadtare. More than 5,800 option forms were incomplete as of 5.40pm on Monday. That still leaves around 15,000 students unaccounted for, compared to the previous year. Academicians said these students might have already secured admission through the offline process. “Many ICSE, IGCSE schools have started Class 12 this year and students from those boards could have decided to pursue Class 12 there itself,” said Avnita Bir, principal, RN Podar School, Santacruz. “Nearly 60% of our students are continuing with CBSE in Class 12.”
Despite IGCSE announcing results in time for admissions to other boards this year, many students from those schools are also continuing in the same board this year. “Almost 50% of our students have decided to pursue Class 12 from the international board itself,” said Rakhi Mukherjee, principal, Utpal Shanghvi School, Juhu. “Many others are opting for minority quota admissions.”
Some SSC students have not yet completed applying for the admission process as the directorate had insisted on original marksheets and SSC students got their marksheets on Monday, said officials.