Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 21, 2019-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘LeT men told us: Help us liberate Kashmir’

The confessional statement of Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab (22) not only helped the special court in convicting him, it also aided in establishing Pakistan’s link to the attacks.

mumbai Updated: May 25, 2010 01:21 IST
Kanchan Chaudhari
Kanchan Chaudhari
Hindustan Times

The confessional statement of Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab (22) not only helped the special court in convicting him, it also aided in establishing Pakistan’s link to the attacks.

In the 40-page document, accessed by Hindustan Times, the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba hitman describes his life in Pakistan and his journey from Karachi to Mumbai. Additional chief metropolitan magistrate R V Sawant-Waghule recorded the confession on February 20, 2009. Excerpts:

Life in Pakistan

My name is Mohammed Ajmal Mohammed Amir Kasab. I was born on September 13, 1987. I am a resident of Pakistan. I studied in the Urdu primary school at Faridkot up to Class 4. My father runs a roadside stall. I like watching television and Hindi films.

My favourite films are Sholay, Lawaris, Veer Zaara, Ashiqui, and Beta. I am addicted to chewing tobacco.

In 2000, I left school and began working as a labourer with by friend Dittu. In 2001, I went to Lahore with my father in search of work. There I worked as a labourer for about five years. I befriended a colleague, Muzaffar Lal Khan. In November 2007, both of us moved to Rawalpindi looking for work. After a month, we met Lashkar-e-Tayyeba operatives collecting goatskins after Bakra-Eid.

They were saying: “Help Kashmiris. Help us liberate Kashmir. Contribute by donating goatskins.”

Indoctrination and training

We thought: “We should also do something for our people”. When we were working in Sarai Alam Gir, Jamaat-ud-Dawa [parent organisation of LeT] used to arrange camps at various places. We would visit the camps and listen to their statements. That’s when both of us decided to get trained for jihad.

In December 2007, we reached an LeT office in Raza Bazaar at Rawalpindi.

After two training sessions over the next six months, in the use of firearms, in July 2008, Hafiz Syed selected a few from the group of around 22 mujaheeds and gave us new names.

My new name was Abu Mujaheed.

Kafa took us to Karachi, where 13 of us trained to navigate, measure sea depth, use GPS while sailing, throw fishnets. After this, we were taken to Baitul Mujaheedin, where Hafiz Syed sent six of us to Kashmir for a fidayeen attack. On November 21, a lot of arms and ammunition, satellite and mobile phones, G P S systems were brought in – Abu Ismail, who was to lead our fidayeen team, was instructed on how to divide it amongst us.

Karachi to Mumbai

On November 22, we woke up at about 6 am, offered namaaz, and left for the attack on Mumbai. On November 26, we left the boat some four nautical miles from Mumbai, traveled in a rubber dinghy and reached Badhwar Park at about 9 pm – we were late by about an hour-and-a-half.

Around 20 minutes later we reached CST.

Ismail took out a grenade, hurled it on the waiting passengers and both of us started firing indiscriminately on them. Then we got inside a building [Cama Hospital]. On the main road outside the hospital, we saw a police vehicle come towards us. We threw the bodies out, took over the vehicle and left. Soon we found a rear tyre punctured, so we stopped a car (Skoda) coming from the opposite direction.

Ismail again took the wheel. Shortly thereafter, we came across police barricades — at Girgaum Chowpatty, where Kasab was arrested and Ismail was gunned down by the DB Marg police.

First Published: May 25, 2010 01:18 IST