AAP promises corruption-free, low-tax regime to Punjab industry
The Aam Aadmi Party has promised a low-tax regime to the industry if it forms the next government in Punjab. Releasing the party’s 22-point poll manifesto for the trade, industry and transport sectors here on Sunday, AAP convener Arvind Kejriwal said VAT and other taxes will be reduced on Delhi pattern to make Punjab having the lowest tax rate in five years.punjab Updated: Oct 24, 2016 10:40 IST
The Aam Aadmi Party has promised a low-tax regime to the industry if it forms the next government in Punjab. Releasing the party’s 22-point poll manifesto for the trade, industry and transport sectors here on Sunday, AAP convener Arvind Kejriwal said VAT and other taxes will be reduced on Delhi pattern to make Punjab having the lowest tax rate in five years.
“The governments till now have been treating the industrialists as thieves, but we in Delhi took them into confidence and our government earned Rs 1,800 crore more revenue despite cut in the VAT from 12.5% to 5% in a phased manner in 2 years,” said Kejriwal. “Traders in Delhi are paying taxes honestly as the ‘inspector raj’ or ‘raid raj’ doesn’t exist there now. Same will happen in Punjab once we form the government,” he said.
The manifesto also underlines revision of all agreements that the SAD-BJP government had signed with private players and annul the “illegitimate” ones.
The manifesto announced to convert Rupnagar as the state’s industrial hub to give a boost to ‘Kandi’ area.
‘Will snatch away bus permits of Badals’
The document promises to “snatch away” the bus route permits of the Badals and other politicians, besides depoliticising the state’s transport policy.
It promises to give bus route permits to the unemployed youth and ex-servicemen. However, there is no mention of reviving the public transport players—PRTC and the Punjab Roadways—whose buses are vanishing fast from road.
“The manifesto focuses on depoliticising the transport sector by involving the common man. We will, of course, encourage the government-run public trans-port,” said AAP’s manifesto committee chairman Kanwar Sandhu.
Key features of AAP document
1. Trade, industry and transport sectors will be made corruption free. Self-certification regime for all NOCs and consents in businesses.
2. Tax regime will be simplified and made transparent. VAT and other taxes will be reduced on Delhi pattern. The process of VAT refund to traders will be expedited.
3. Revival of sick units in industrial towns in a time-bound manner. Special package to bring back units that shifted base outside the state.
4. Lower power tariff. Anti-Punjab power purchase agreements with private plants will be reviewed.
5. Unauthorised colonies to be regularised and basic amenities ensured.
6. A comprehensive real estate policy to review distortion of master plans and revive the housing sector.
7. A 10-year tax holiday for agro-based food processing and other industry. Interest-free loans for agro units employing at least 80% workforce from Punjab.
8. No toll plazas on roads other than highways. Will press for removal of all toll plazas on Jalandhar-Amritsar and Ropar-Anandpur Sahib sections.
9.Transparent liquor permit policy.
10. Five-year tax holiday for women entrepreneurs.
11. Social security for tax-paying small and medium entrepreneurs.
12. Affordable housing for industrial labourers.