Sidhu’s 6 sixes, in verse & wordplay: Slams BJP, shows love for Punjab
Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu said on Monday that he quit the Rajya Sabha because he was asked to stay away from Punjab. But he refused to clarify if he was still with the BJP or joining the AAP, as is being speculated. Anyhow, he was completely in form, belting out couplets and short verses and wordplay (‘Sidhuisms’!) in his trademark style, saying much through poetry. Here are the chosen six, and more (with translations by HT).punjab Updated: Jul 25, 2016 18:00 IST
Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu said on Monday that he quit the Rajya Sabha because he was asked to stay away from Punjab but refused to clarify if he was still with the BJP or joining the AAP, as is being speculated. But he was in form, belting out couplets and short verses in his trademark style, saying much through poetry. Here are the chosen six, and more.
1. Panchi bhi udari maarta hai to sham ko apne ghonsle mein aake tikta hai (Every bird that takes flight returns to its nest by dusk.)
2. Rashtrabhakt pakshi bhi apna ped nahi chhodte (Even nationalist birds don’t leave their tree)
3. Aag lagi is vriksh ko, jalne lage hain paat; Ud jao ae pakshiyo, jab pankh tumhare saath; (The tree is on fire, fly away, O birds)
4. Ishq jinhe apne watan se, khud hi ko mitaate rahenge; shama mehfil mein Punjab ki jalti rahegi, Sidhu jaise parwaane aur bhi aate rahenge (Those who love their homeland, will continue to sacrifice; as long as the light of Punjab is lighting, people like Sidhu will continue to burn for it.)
5. Gunahgaaron mein shaamil hain, gunahon se nahi waakif; sitam karte hain wo, khuda jaane khata kya hai (part of the gang, but not of its crimes, yet they torture us, for don’t know what.)
6. Jo bhara nahin hai bhaavon se, behti jismein rasdhaar nahi; wo hriday nahi hai paththar hai, jismein swadesh ka pyaar nahi. (The heart that does not house emotions or love the nations, is as good as a stone.)
Plus, as a bonus, two other shots:
1. Fal khaaye is vriksh ke, gande keene paap; ab yahi humara dharma hai, jal marein isike saath (Having eaten fruits of this tree, now this tree is our religion. Will die along with it).
2. Unhe fikr hai har dum, nayi tarj-e-jafa kya hai; humein bhi shauk hai, dekhein sitam ki intehaan kya hai (They worry about infidelity all the time, and we wonder what’s the extent of this grief.)
First Published: Jul 25, 2016 17:42 IST