SAS Nagar resident dies with dengue symptoms; 2nd such death in Mohali
In the first death in the city where the patient had been admitted to hospital with symptoms of dengue, a 54-year-old assistant with Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) died at the Max Hospital, Phase-6, close to midnight on Monday. Sham Lal, of Phase-5, was posted at Dhakoli. His report for diagnosis for dengue was awaited. The SAS Nagar district has reported over 270-odd dengue cases this summer/monsoon season.punjab Updated: Sep 14, 2016 14:50 IST
In the first death in the city where the patient had been admitted to hospital with symptoms of dengue, a 54-year-old assistant with Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) died at the Max Hospital, Phase-6, close to midnight on Monday. Sham Lal, of Phase-5, was posted at Dhakoli. His report for diagnosis for dengue was awaited. The SAS Nagar district has reported over 270-odd dengue cases this summer/monsoon season.
“This is first death where the patient was admitted with dengue symptoms in SAS Nagar city. He had reported to the hospital after a three-day fever. His blood platelet count was low. On Tuesday, his blood platelet count and blood pressure dropped and he died of dengue shock,” said SAS Nagar civil surgeon Ranjit Guru. A fortnight ago, Kamaldeep Goyal, 31, of Kharar, had also died with similar symptoms.
Residents claimed that the MC undertakes preventive measures like fogging based on a pick-and-choose policy and ignores areas just on whim.
The civic body blames shortage of machinery and manpower, in its inability to carry out drives based on requests from the health department. Officials add that there is a schedule in place, but residents try and jump the queue.
The civil surgeon added that fogging should be undertaken twice a day (morning and evening) and the cycle should be repeated every week.
MC cites problems for no recent fogging
The MC has three fogging machines, of which one has been defunct for more than 40 days. The second machine has also been out of order for the last four days. No surplus staff has been provided to the fogging team, again hitting work.
On Tuesday, fogging was carried out in Phases 5, 7 and 3B2.
Private hospital’s versions
In a press release, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Mohali, said that Sham Lal was brought to the hospital on September 12, 2016, around 8am with complaints of fever, headache, generalised weakness, nausea and vomiting. Upon examination, the patient was suspected of suffering from dengue shock syndrome. While the final report confirming dengue is awaited, the team of experts began a first-level treatment to stabilise the patient’s critical condition. On September 13, the patient’s condition deteriorated and he was incubated. The patient suffered a cardiac arrest and was declared dead at 11.15am the same day.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has already declared dengue as the world’s fastest growing vector-borne disease, with a 30-fold increase in disease incidence over the last 50 years. The WHO warns:
Fengshui plants and other potted plants, especially those kept in petri dishes, can accumulate water which can be an ideal breeding spot. Apart from plants, if air-conditioning units and water tanks are not maintained they, too, can become mosquito breeding spots.