Happy Birthday Prabhas: Six best films of the star before Baahubali
SS Rajamouli’s Baahubali franchise may have catapulted Prabhas’ career to dizzying heights but stardom came to him earlier. As Prabhas turned 40 on Wednesday, we take a look at five best films of his career before the world came to know him as Baahubali. From Varsham to Mirchi, we track the rise of Prabhas from a humble boy to a celebrated star.
According to the trade, Varsham was Prabhas’ first major blockbuster. The film struck a right chord with the youngsters with its refreshing love story and terrific songs. The film sees Prabhas lock horns with a gangster to win his love. The film used rain as a unifying element that brings the lead pair together and scenes between Prabhas and Trisha still remain memorable. Varsham continues to remain as one of the best Telugu albums last two decades.
The film marked his first collaboration with SS Rajamouli and continues to be one of the biggest blockbusters of his career. In an angry young man avatar, Prabhas won over audiences with his raw and unadulterated performance as a vagabond turned gang lord. The film is still remembered even after 12 years since its release for Prabhas’ intense performance and the awe-inspiring interval block. Apart from being violent, the film explored the beautiful relationship between the mother and her son.
A modern-day remake of Amitabh Bachchan’s Don, this version of the film presented Prabhas in a slick and most stylish avatar. With this project, he went on to prove that he can also play characters way out of his league effortlessly. He was paired with Anushka Shetty, his rumoured girlfriend for the first time in the film, and the pair since then has worked together many times. Billa is celebrated even today for its overall presentation, even though it was a remake.
In this Karunakaran-directed romantic drama, Prabhas played a carefree lover who, in order to escape from marrying a don’s daughter, weaves a story of meeting his childhood sweetheart again. A lighthearted entertainer, the film brought forth Prabhas’ comic sense and explored a never seen before side of his.
A heartwarming family drama, this Dasarath entertainer worked because of introducing audiences to the concept of nuclear family. The story is about mending relationships and Prabhas plays a key part in bringing together two families. Unlike most of his films where we get high dose of action and violence, Mr Perfect came as a whiff of fresh air and worked wonders at the box-office.
While critics still debate about violence that was endorsed via Mirchi, this action-drama from Koratala Siva was about the value of a life. It saw Prabhas play a man who returns to his hometown to reform his girlfriend’s goon-like family. In the process, it is revealed that Prabhas’ character has a dark past. Even before they played Baahubali and Kattappa, Prabhas and Sathyaraj were seen as son-father in this revenge-based drama.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ishaan Khatter shared a throwback picture from their childhood to post a 'happy birthday' message for his half-brother, Shahid Kapoor.
- Alia Bhatt did a 'Gangubai Kathiawadi' style namaste to the paparazzi while greeting them during director Sanjay Leela Bhansali's birthday celebrations.
- On Divya Bharti's birth anniversary, here's revisiting an episode from her life when she married producer Sajid Nadiadwala and managed to keep it a secret from her father, who was opposed to the match.
- Shahid Kapoor said that he was with Mira Rajput in the labour room when she was giving birth to their daughter Misha. Mira 'whacked' Shahid when he got dizzy at one point.
- Parineeti Chopra, on being asked about a time in her life she would like to forget, said that she would like to erase her college days as she was 'hugely overweight' at the time.
- Tanishaa Mukherji wished her sister Kajol and brother-in-law Ajay Devgn on their 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Nakuul Mehta’s wife Jankee Parekh revealed how her life has changed after the birth of their son, Sufi. She said that she is busy with mommy duties, leaving her little time for social media activities.
- Kangana Ranaut announced the release date of her upcoming Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, with a short teaser. The film, directed by AL Vijay, will release on April 23.
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas reacted to a social media user criticised her now-viral ball-shaped outfit. Earlier, Priyanka shared a bunch of memes inspired by her dress.
- Gauahar Khan revealed her father has been admitted to a hospital. The actor took to Instagram and shared pictures of how her husband Zaid Darbar and in-laws are supporting her.