10 things to know about Sonika Chauhan, Vikram Chatterjee’s car crash
Model and TV host Sonika Chauhan died in a car accident on April 29 when she was in a car with TV actor Vikram Chatterjee. Here’re the 10 key things about the incident you should know.tv Updated: Jul 07, 2017 12:19 IST
Kolkata Police arrested actor Vikram Chatterjee after midnight on Thursday for his role in the car crash that killed his co-passenger, popular model and TV host, Sonika Chauhan in Kolkata on April 29. Sonika was in the seat beside Chatterjee, who was driving the car.
Here are 10 things to know about the case:
1. Popular face in the world of modelling, Sonika Chauhan died on April 29 when the car hit a pavement. The car was being driven by TV serial actor Vikram Chatterjee allegedly in a drunken condition.
2. It has been alleged that Vikram consumed alcohol at a party and also while he was driving the car. Forensic reports on a bottle found inside the car have also indicated that it contained alcohol.
3. Police was looking for the actor over the past few weeks. He was on the run.
4. Forensic reports indicated that the car was moving at a speed well over 100 kmph.
5. Sonika’s friends gave confidential statements to a magistrate. Those statements contradicted the ones given by the actor. Forensic findings also went against him.
6. Initially, Vikram Chatterjee denied that he had consumed alcohol, but he admitted it later. His father alleged that the airbags of the Toyota car did not activate, otherwise Chauhan would have survived.
7. There were allegations that police were trying to treat the actor leniently. His blood samples were taken as many as nine days after the incident
8. The two were taken to a hospital about 6 km from the accident spot even when there were more than one hospital nearby. The public works minister, Aroop Biswas, a confidante of chief minister Mamata Banerjee, rushed to the hospital on learning about the incident.
9. The death split Kolkata’s modelling and silver-screen world. Many of Sonika’s friends accused Vikram Chatterjee of suppressing the truth.
10. The model’s friend organised a candlelight walk on May 8, 2017 demanding justice for Sonika. On May 30, 2017, Vikram was charged with culpable- homicide not amounting to murder, a non-bailable section, for Sonika’s death.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
First Published: Jul 07, 2017 11:44 IST