Colors apologises to Tannishtha for ‘racist’ attack on Comedy Night Bachao
Critically acclaimed actor Tannishtha Chatterjee wasn’t amused when comedians of Colors’s Comedy Nights Bachao cracked jokes on her complexion. After she shared on social media her sentiment about the “regressive and blatantly racist” attack, a spokesperson on behalf of the channel apologised for “any hurt that was unwittingly caused”.
In a Facebook post on Wednesday, Tannishtha wrote about the experience of being a guest on the show that presents comedians ‘roasting’ their guests. She pointed out that the only thing they could roast about a dark-skinned actress was “of course her dark skin”.
“I could not believe I was sitting in a nationally televised comedy show in 2016 in Mumbai amid such regressive (I can’t call it humour), and blatantly racist content,” wrote the actress.
In response to the post, Colors company spokesperson using the COLORS TV handle wrote: “It is rather unfortunate that what you had expected to be a fun and novel experience turned out to be traumatic for you on the sets of Comedy Nights Bachao.
“As a channel, Colors has always focused on creating content that is meaningful and addresses pertinent social issues - skin colour bias - being one of them. A few years ago, Colors was in fact appreciated for its show Laagi Tujhse Lagan where the protagonist was discriminated against because of her dark skin colour and how she fought this social evil.”
The reply further read that “what transpired on the sets of Comedy Nights Bachao is not a reflection of the channel’s philosophy”.
“As far as the episode of Comedy Night Bachao is concerned, we have ensured that the content is free from anything that may be deemed offensive. It was never our intention, nor a practice for us or the makers of the show to offend anyone at all with the jokes.”
The channel has taken this up “seriously with the creative team and the production house to ensure that the show is produced in line with the vision of the channel. Please accept our apologies for any hurt that was unwittingly caused”.
Tannishtha said she felt “suffocated” while shooting the show, and when she confronted the organisers, she was told: “But we told you it is a roast!”.
She maintained that her anger “is not personal and it is a larger issue about what our mindset is” as she finds it “irresponsible” to crack jokes about deep biases in the society.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In a new video, Rahul Vaidya revealed that he learnt how to make caramelised eggs from Aly Goni, knead dough from Jasmin Bhasin and even Rakhi Sawant taught him how to cook some dish.
- Shehnaaz Gill said that she was not affected by the acid attack threats she got and the doctored videos made of her. She said that she is only gaining 'sympathy' in the process.
- Mahhi Vij, in a lengthy note, responded to accusations that she and Jay Bhanushali do not love their foster children Khushi and Rajveer as much as their biological daughter Tara.
- After promising a surprise to her fans, Jasmin Bhasin and Aly Goni have revealed first look of their music video together. Check out the first poster.
- Nikki Tamboli, Jaan Kumar Sanu, Pavitra Punia and Eijaz Khan came together for Naina Singh's birthday bash on Friday.
- Anita Hassanandani has shared two cute videos on her Instagram Stories in which she can be seen pampering her son, Aaravv.
- Rubina Dilaik was extremely angry and fought with Rakhi Sawant when she got to know about the incident. Abhinav has now said that the reaction made him feel a 'sense of belonging'.
- Rakhi Sawant took to Instagram to share a video of herself doing various household chores. She complained that Bigg Boss made her a 'grihani (housewife)'.
- Kavita Kaushik called out a man for sending her abusive messages on Instagram. As he apologised to her, she exposed the ‘reality of sher dil men of our country’.
- Rahul Vaidya confirms he will marry Disha Parmar soon in an intimate ceremony. He had proposed marriage to her on national TV last year on her birthday.