Game of Thrones: From leading battles to averting them, these 5 scenes show Tyrion Lannister has forever been the wisest
In the dark, wretched world of Game of Thrones, there are several lords and ladies, knights and kings fighting and dying for the Iron Throne. But there is one man in between all this chaos who truly deserves to rule the Seven Kingdoms; too bad he doesn’t even want to. Tyrion Lannister, played by Peter Dinklage for nine years, is perhaps the wisest character in all of Westeros and definitely the one who should lead it.
Sure, Tyrion doesn’t have the strength of Jon Snow or the dragons of Daenerys Targaryen but what he has is the power of his brain, put to great use in difficult and often dangerous situations. He knows how to talk his way out of trouble and also how to talk trouble into someone’s life.
Ever since we met him, Tyrion was never the most difficult person to root for. Sure he whiled away his days in booze and women, running away from fights and yet always falling headfirst into them. He was the bullied child of the family—of course, that emotional torture at the hands of his sister and father does deserve a stronger word— and was ridiculed at every step of the way. And yet, when he led the leaderless men at the Battle of Blackwater Bay, they listened to him. When he asked Oberyn Martell to fight for him, he listened to him. When he told Daenerys to move with caution, she listened to him. And when he told his brother to open the gates of Kings Landing for him and his friends, he listened to him.
Tyrion has suffered longer than anyone in the show and yet he did not lose the sense of what is right. He knew his sister is evil and he wished her the worst. But no matter what hell she broke on him, he never sought revenge on her. He simply wanted to survive, do the good thing for his people even when all they did was laugh at him.
But that doesn’t blur his sense of justice. He strangled the one woman he loved for betraying him. He killed his father for giving him a life worse than death with no respect and no love. Tyrion had all the reason to turn selfish and look only after himself but even as the years passed by, we only saw him get kinder, wiser and the one person to depend on.
He is now the Hand to the Queen, one who respects his opinions and judgement of people. He is the one Daenerys needs the most right now to wade her way out of this mess that the Night King has brought upon the living. But she needs him even more after they (should they) survive the attack. To build a world less horrid and cruel, Dany will need all the help she could get from Tyrion. Here’s hoping he survives.
To remind you just how great Tyrion’s journey has been, watch these 5 scenes from Game of Thrones to fall for him all over again:
1. Tyrion rallies the troops
Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let’s go kill them!
2. Tyrion tells Cersei what he wishes of her
I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you are safe and happy, and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.
3. The courthouse scene
Watching your vicious bastard die gave me more relief, than a thousand lying wh*res!
4. Tyrion kills his father
You’re my son.
5. Tyrion meets the dragons
Don’t kill the help!
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sumona Chakravarti has made the maximum use of limited space in her new Mumbai house, designed in Scandinavian style. Watch a video here.
- Charu Asopa celebrated her birthday with husband Rajeev Sen. Check out pictures and video from the bash.
- Bigg Boss runner-up Rahul Vaidya's fiancee Disha Parmar has shared a video of herself wearing one of his sweatshirts. "I wear my boyfriend's clothes," she wrote in her post.
- Himanshi Khurana performed to Salaam, originally picturised on Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, in a new video. Watch it here.
- Check out the latest video from Bigg Boss 14 winner Rubina Dilaik in which she is seen dancing with her husband Abhinav Shukla, to a folk song.
- Rahul Vaidya and Disha Parmar left Mumbai for a quick getaway. While they did not disclose their destination, he shared a picture from their helicopter ride together.
- Rakhi Sawant's ailing mother has said that she is disappointed that Rakhi didn't win Bigg Boss 14, but would like to see her and her husband, Ritesh, participate in the next season of the show.
- Aly Goni took a video of Jasmin Bhasin doing her make-up for his birthday party on Thursday night. She responded by dropping heart-eyes emojis in the comments section.
- Nikki Tamboli opened up about steam-ironing her ex-boyfriend's boxers in Bigg Boss 14 and said that it was not an attempt to grab eyeballs. She added that she was 'genuinely' missing him.
- Salman Khan took to Instagram and Twitter to share a 'mega selfie' from the sets of the Indian Pro Music League. The star-studded photo featured Riteish Deshmukh, Genelia D'Souza, Bobby Deol, Shraddha Kapoor, Govinda, Mika Singh, Rajkummar Rao, Karan Wahi, Javed Ali and many more.