GOT season 7 trailer 2: More dragons, epic wars and a possible reunion
The popular HBO series is one of the most anticipated series of the year. As it enters it’s second last season, here’s what you need to watch out forUpdated: Jun 22, 2017 17:30 IST
As any Game of Thrones fan would know, the weeks leading up to the premiere of the new season are the most excruciating. We are already made to wait a, and, on top of it, the makers of the show are popularly tight lipped about the show. Additionally, the series is notorious for its cryptic trailers and teasers.
However, the latest trailer, titled #WinterIsHere, is uncharacteristically generous. The trailer, which released on June 21, has (not surprisingly) already clocked over 5 million views. Almost all major characters appear in the trailer, albeit some in dark shadows and barely visible. But then again, what is a Game of Thrones trailer without some dramatic suspense?
The one major theme that does stand out, however, is the looming threat of war – both for the Iron Throne and dominion over Westeros, and the one war that will define human existence in the universe, against the undead army of the White Walkers, beyond The Wall.
Let’s break the trailer down and see where the season may be headed.
1) In keeping with the violent resolution the show has been moving toward, the trailer opens with Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) walking in the snow at Winterfell – her home that she and her brother (or, specifically, her cousin) Jon Snow (Kit Harrington) took back after a bloody battle, in the last season. Petyr ‘Littlefinger’ Baelish can be heard in the background saying, “Don’t fight in the north, or in the south. Fight every battle everywhere, always, in your mind.”
2) And it certainly looks like we’ll see fighting everywhere, based on the trailer. We see Jaimie Lannister (Nikolaj Colster Waldau) overseeing a group of Lannister archers. Later, we even see him aggressively charging toward someone, with a weapon in hand. If he is repeating history by attempting to kill his evil twin sister Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey) or someone else, remains to be seen.
3) The trailer then moves on to glimpses of Jon Snow looking aggressively battle ready amidst a snow blizzard, which in the past has been a recurring phenomenon only north of The Wall. There is a distinct possibility that Jon and his loyal soldiers have ventured into enemy camp. With theories about Jon’s lineage confirmed in the last season, his journey beyond the wall may well mean he is gearing up to live up to the rumoured prophecy – of him being the saviour of mankind in the Westerosi universe.
4) A sweeping shot in the trailer shows Brandon Stark (Isaac Hempstead Wright) with his companion Meera Reed, before Castle Black. And with shots of Arya Stark (Maisie Williams) – after her treacherous adventures in the city of Bravos last season – heading home to Winterfell, we might just see all surviving Starks convene at their ancient family home, for the first time since season 1.
5) We also see Jon Snow and Ser Davos Seaworth (Liam Cunningham) on a sunny beach, which can only mean they’re at Dragonstone, the Targaryen ancestral home, and currently under Danyaerys’s siege. To that extent, as is later shown, Jon can be heard off screen proposing an alliance to Danaerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke). “For centuries our families fought together against their common enemy, despite their differences, together,” says Snow.
6) Fans may get a reason to rejoice as a long awaited romantic union of Jon and Dany might be on the cards. However, beyond romance, their partnership will be the cornerstone of the resistance against the White Walkers, and an important plot point of the show this season.
7) We also might see more of Dany’s dragons than all of the previous seasons combined. Even within the trailer, the dragons can be seen taking an active part in the war at hand, as they leave an entire battlefield ablaze in their wake. So much so that main characters such as Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage), Yara and Theon Grejoy (Gemma Whelan and Alfie Allen respectively) looking skywards scared.
8) One of the biggest dishes comes in at the end, with Sansa saying, “When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.” Now, whether Sansa was talking about the the actual dire wolves in the series, or the Starks, is yet unknown. But to look at it positively, it is also indicative of the oldest Stark daughter encouraging remaining family to stand together against the enemy that really matters – the White Walkers.
Season 7 premieres on July 16.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
First Published: Jun 22, 2017 17:29 IST