2 back-to-back earthquakes kill at least 76 in Turkey, 440 injured
Turkey Earthquake: Here are the top updates on earthquake in Turkey:
A 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit Turkey on Monday followed by another strong jolt which was felt in several provinces in the region. At least 53 people have been killed in the earthquake, AFP reported quoting officials. The US Geological Survey said the 7.8 magnitude tremor struck at 04:17 local time (01:17 GMT) at a depth of 17.9km (11 miles) near the city of Gaziantep.
Here are the top updates on earthquake in Turkey:
1. Osmaniye Governor said that around 34 buildings have collapsed in southern Osmaniye province.
2. The earthquake centred in Turkey occurred around 01:17:35 (UTC) at a depth of 17.9 km, according to USGS.
3. There were reports of destroyed buildings in Turkey and Syria, where tremors also were felt. Significant casualties are likely, Reuters reported.
4. Videos of the destruction including collapsed buildings and people trapped under the rubble were widely shared on social media.
5. At least 42 dead in Syria after earthquake, AFP reported quoting officials.
6. Turkish authorities scrambled rescue teams and supply aircraft while declaring a "level 4 alarm" that calls for international assistance.
7. The tremor lasted about a minute and shattered windows, Reuters reported.
8. The United States expressed “profound concern” following the earthquake in Turkey and Syria.