UK suspends online visa facility to India

Updated on May 20, 2007 02:35 AM IST
Personal data of thousands of Indians have been compromised, prompting UK to order a probe into the security lapse.
HT Image
HT Image
PTI | By, London

Britan has suspended its online visa application facility from India after personal data of thousands of Indians was compromised, prompting the government to order a probe into the security lapse.

Four hundred and seventy thousand Indians applied for visas to come to Britain last year and around 50,000 had applied online.

According to a report telecast by Britain's Channel 4, the internet visa applications had some serious security lapse, which made personal details of 50,000 online applicants freely available on line.

Britain's opposition Conservative Party has expressed concern that this security breach was open to being exploited by terrorists.

Terming it as an "Indian Visa Fiasco", the Shadow immigration minister, Damian Green, said," this may have been a treasure trove for international terrorists."

The British Information Commissioner, the government's data privacy watchdog, is probing into the lapse, an official said on Saturday. The Commissioner has demanded a 'full explanation' from the Foreign Office.

The Channel reported that one of the applicants noticed the lapse in April last year. Visa processing in India has been contracted out by the Foreign Office to a private Indian company, VFS Global.

The applicant alerted the company as well as the British High Commission in India.

After the revelations, Britain has suspended its online visa applications not only in India but also in Russia and Nigeria, the official said. The services were provided by the same company VFS.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

    ‘No talks if Russia holds referendums’: Zelensky on Ukraine war| Top points

    With the Ukraine-Russia war in its sixth month, Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky on Sunday ruled out talks if Russia proceeded with referendums in occupied areas of the war-torn country. Read: 'Ukraine putting civilians at risk', says Amnesty report; Zelensky hits back Here are the latest developments: 1. Read: Russian-origin man marries Ukrainian girlfriend in Dharamshala 4.

  • FILE PHOTO: People watch a TV broadcasting a news report on the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in North Korea, at a railway station in Seoul, South Korea.

    North Korean Parliament to discuss anti epidemic policy, rural development

    North Korea will convene two key meetings, including one to review the country's anti-epidemic policy, in coming weeks, state media said on Monday, as it claims no new COVID-19 cases since late July. The North Korean Supreme People's Assembly, the isolated state's rubber-stamp parliament, will meet on Sept. 7 to discuss law on rural development and organizational matters, according to the official KCNA.

  • The setting sun shines through a Black Lives Matter flag

    Over 600 kids strip searched by London police, mostly black boys: New data

    London's under-fire police force strip-searched more than 600 children over a two-year period, most of them black boys, according to new data released Monday. England's commissioner for children, Rachel de Souza, said she was "deeply shocked" by the figures after obtaining them from the Metropolitan police. The 15-year-old black schoolgirl was strip-searched by female officers in 2020 after being wrongly suspected of carrying cannabis, despite them being aware she was menstruating.

  • This picture taken from the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon shows Palestinian rockets fired from the Gaza Strip on August 7, 2022. (Photo by JACK GUEZ/AFP)

    Israel and Palestinian militants declare Gaza truce

    The three-day clashes echoed preludes to previous Gaza wars, though they were relatively contained as Hamas, the governing Islamist group in the Gaza Strip and a more powerful force than Iranian-backed Islamic Jihad, had so far stayed out.

  • A salvo of rockets is fired from Gaza City towards Israel, on Sunday. 

    Five more killed in Gaza amid truce reports: Health ministry

    Five more people were killed in Gaza on Sunday evening, the enclave's health ministry said, amid reports a ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian militants may be imminent. "Thirty-six martyrs, among them 11 children and four women, and 311 injured," the health ministry said, raising the death toll in the Palestinian enclave from 31 since fighting began on Friday.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, August 08, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now