'US warned India 'twice' about sea attack on Mumbai'
US intelligence agencies had warned India "twice" about a potential maritime attack on Mumbai at least a month before the terror strikes, say media reports. Navy chief denies intelligence inputworld Updated: Dec 02, 2008 19:01 IST
United States intelligence agencies had warned India "twice" about a potential maritime attack on Mumbai at least a month before audacious terror strikes that has left about 200 people dead and scores injured, media reports said.
"The United States warned the Indian government about a potential maritime attack against Mumbai at least a month before last week's massacre in the country's financial capital," the CNN quoted a US counter-terrorism official as saying.
The American network quoted the official as saying that the warning was issued not once but "twice".
A second government source told ABCnews.Com that specific locations, including the Taj Hotel, were listed in the US warning.
"US intelligence indicated that a group might enter the country by water and launch an attack on Mumbai, said the official, who refused to be identified due to the ongoing investigation into the attacks and the sensitivity of the information," the CNN added.
"Indian security forces have confirmed to CNN that not only did US officials warn them of a water-borne attack in Mumbai -- they were told twice. The area entered a higher state of alert for a week, including tightened security measures at hotels, but those efforts were eventually reduced, Indian officials said," the network, which repeatedly broadcast the story last evening, maintained.
On November 18, Indian intelligence also intercepted a satellite phone call to a number in Pakistan known to be used by a leader of the terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba, believed to be responsible for the weekend attack, Indian intelligence officials were quoted as saying by ABCnews.com.
The Indian intercept also revealed a possible sea-borne attack, it said, citing officials.
First Published: Dec 02, 2008 11:12 IST