Abhay Deol says he didn’t like being called supporting actor in Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara but Farhan Akhtar ‘was okay with it’
Actor Abhay Deol has shared a post about his hit film Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara and how he was treated by award shows. Abhay said he didn’t appreciate that he and Farhan Akhtar were put in the ‘supporting actor’ category while Hrithik Roshan and Katrina Kaif were called the ‘leads’.
Abhay began his note on Instagram by praising the film as a stress reliever. “Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, released in 2011. Need to chant this title to myself everyday nowadays! Also a great watch when anxious or stressed,” he wrote. He then added how he was ‘demoted’ by award shows. “I would like to mention that almost all the award functions demoted me and Farhan from main leads, and nominated us as “supporting actors”. Hrithik and Katrina were nominated as “actors in a leading role”. So by the industry’s own logic, this was a film about a man and a woman falling in love, with the man supported by his friends for whatever decisions he takes,” he wrote.
Abhay said he boycotted the awards for it but his co-star Farhan was okay with it. “There are many covert and overt ways in which people in the industry lobby against you. In this case it was shamelessly overt. I of course boycotted the awards but Farhan was ok with it,” he said.
Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara was a road trip dramedy about three friends who go on a trip to Spain, face their fears and form a friendship stronger than before. It was directed by Zoya Akhtar. It won two awards at the 59th National Film Awards for best audiography and best choreography.
Last year on the film’s eighth anniversary, Abhay had written, “It’s been 8 years since I made this film. It’s the one movie that had people come up to me and say, ‘I saw this and I quit my job’ or ‘I saw this and made peace with an old friend,’ to ‘I took a break from work’ and even, ‘I got a divorce!’ It inspired people to follow their dreams, to take action, to accept who and where they are. I couldn’t ask for more! It was an honor and a privilege to work with you @zoieakhtar. #zindaginamilegidobara (sic).”
Abhay was last seen in What Are The Odds? He was also a producer of the film which released on Netflix in May.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- An unseen picture of Saif Ali Khan with his son Ibrahim Ali Khan from latter's birthday bash has surfaced online. See it here.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared information about a new restaurant called Sona in New York. She has been creatively involved with it from contributing in its design, menu, music and even with its name.
- Elli AvrRam has shared the first look of her upcoming dance number with Aamir Khan, from the film Koi Jaane Na.
- Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.
- Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
- Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.
- "I will not make the statement you want me to, take my smile instead," said Gul Panag, refusing to comment on statements made by several celebrities about the farmers' protest, in a video being widely shared online.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut has said that she hasn't taken a single holiday in 2021, and has worked through her periods.
- Actors Swara Bhasker, Richa Chadha, Tisca Chopra, Satyadeep Misra, Rajshri Deshpande and others took to social media to voice their support for Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap.
- Janhvi Kapoor had once revealed how her mother did not want her to join films. Sridevi felt her older daughter would not be able to survive in the industry.