Angrezi Medium box office day 1: Irrfan, Kareena Kapoor film makes Rs 4.03 crore amid coronavirus crisis, online leak
Actor Irrfan Khan’s comeback film, Angrezi Medium, registered a dull start at the box office. According to trade analyst Taran Adarsh, the film made Rs 4.03 crores on its opening day.
Tweeting about it, he wrote: “#AngreziMedium Fri ₹ 4.03 cr. #India biz.Note: Biz has been severely affected due to closure of cinema halls in several states. #CoronaVirus #COVID19.”
The film has been hit by closure of cinema halls in important centres like Delhi NCR. To add to its woes, Angrezi Medium got leaked online on the day of its release. According to a report in India Today, the film was reportedly available to watch in the highest qualities on torrent website Tamilrockers and streaming website Telegram.
The film tells the story of a father, played by Irrfan, hailing from middle-class small town background, who will go to any extent to fulfill the dreams of his daughter (played by Radhika Madan). It also stars Kareena Kapoor, Deepak Dobriyal, Dimple Kapadia and Pankaj Tripathi in important roles.
Angrezi Medium received mixed reviews by critics. Writing about it, the Hindustan Times review said, “Angrezi Medium, a potentially good film, falls prey to poor execution and a weak screenplay. And in the end, it is power packed performance from Irrfan and Deepak that saves this sinking ship and lets it sail through.”
Baaghi 3, which released the week before, too, has been hit by the above mentioned developments. The film has collected an estimated Rs 1.5-2 crore nett taking its overall tally to Rs 92.17 crore. It is impressive given that the fear of coronavirus and the state governments decisions to shut down cinema halls in Delhi and Mumbai.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kareena Kapoor has shared a picture of her lavish lunch, sent by cousin Armaan Jain. Check it out here.
- Anushka Sharma has congratulated Team India on their historic victory against Australia on Tuesday.
- Sherlyn Chopra has accused disgraced director Sajid Khan of sexual misconduct, adding that he's protected by the Bollywood 'mafia'.
- Pahlaj Nihalani has said that although he hasn't received an invitation, he's heard that Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal are tying the knot this weekend.
- After Alia Bhatt's reported hospitalisation for exertion, her Gangubai Kathiawadi co-star, Seema Pahwa, said that director Sanjay Leela Bhansali doesn't rush actors with work.
- Malaika Arora has shared a throwback picture from her Goa vacation with Arjun Kapoor, along with some advice. Rahul Khanna said that he'll try to follow it.
- Actor Deepika Padukone answered quirky questions in an Instagram Ask Me Anything session on Tuesday.