Gulshan Grover turns 62: I’m still that cool person I used to be; age is just a number
As actor Gulshan Grover steps into another year of his life, he remembers how his son, and friends from Bollywood always made sure to make his birthday a special affair.bollywood Updated: Sep 21, 2017 11:59 IST
Gulshan Grover, the evergreen ‘badman’ of Bollywood, describes himself as a regular person, who worked “very hard” to be successful in his chosen craft — acting. As the actor turns a year older today, he says “age is just a number”. Why? “Because turning 62 doesn’t change an iota of anything. I am still that cool person I used to be,” says Gulshan with his trademark laugh.
Like every year, this year too, the actor had plans to celebrate his special day with his 27-year-old son Sanjay Grover, who is based in Los Angeles. But, Sanjay won’t be able to make it on time this year and the father understands. “Most of the times, I am usually travelling on my birthday. But, this year I am in Mumbai. Sanjay was supposed to come, but he has got some work. He’ll arrive later and I’m planning to throw a party then. That too if he is comfortable meeting my friends from the industry. He is actually quite shy,” says Gulshan.
Well, even if there’s no big celebration planned as of now, birthday does bring many memories of childhood days. The actor recalls how his mother used to organise special puja at home. Going down memory lane, he chuckles how his industry friends and his son made his birthdays special every years. The actor reveals some of the best and craziest memories.
1. Few years back, I was in LA for work, and at that time, my friends [there] threw a surprise birthday party for me. They had invited my friends from the industry, who were in the city at that time. There, while Shah Rukh [Khan] danced to Chaiyya Chaiyya with Rajshree [Shantaram] Chapman, Juhi [Chawla], Kajol and Akshay [Kumar] made sure that we continue to have fun.
Found this old photo of SRK and Me rehearsing a scene on the sets of film Duplicate pic.twitter.com/LaRn9wOSbV— Gulshan Grover (@GulshanGroverGG) October 18, 2015
2. In 1988, when I was shooting for Siyasat, I remember getting a handwritten letter from Shatrughan Sinha, who had started his career with villain roles and became a star. Given that I am known mostly for playing negative characters, he wrote to me, ‘If I could will my villainery [in films] to someone, it would be you’.
3. I am mostly shooting on my birthdays and my son would end up celebrating the day on the set [with me]. So after school, since his father’s birthday isn’t a national holiday, the poor son had to attend school on those days, Sanjay would get back home, get ready and visit the set. I remember how one producer was keen that I cut my cake before lunch time, so we could have it for sweets, and I couldn’t help but laugh and told him that it’s like a ritual for me to cut the cake in my son’s presence.
4. We were shooting for Raja Babu (1994) at some remote place in South India and it was my birthday. So, Govinda, Karisma [Kapoor] along with Kareena [Kapoor Khan] and I, celebrated the occasion at the solo ice cream parlour available nearby.
5. I get very irritated with the way people draw pleasure in ducking the birthday boy or girl’s face in the cake and I always warned everyone that it must be eaten and not wasted. But who can stop Akshay [Kumar] from doing what he likes! While in Toronto, while shooting for Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi (1996), on my birthday, he schemed, planned, connived and pushed my face into the cake.
6. I remember getting the film Sadma (1983) on my birthday, and that too because of my friend Anil [Kapoor]. He was shooting for Pallavi Anu Pallavi (1983) and I was accompanying him being a friend. Balu Mahendra, who was the cinematographer of the film, spotted me and asked Anil if I can act, as he was casting for his film Sadma and liked my intense eyes and face. Anil told him I am a trained actor. All this was happening behind my back and then Anil planned with him that they will sign me for the film on the following day, which was my birthday.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
First Published: Sep 21, 2017 11:59 IST