Happy birthday Ratna Pathak Shah: From Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai to Lipstick Under My Burkha, here are her 5 best works
She may not have received as many awards as her contemporaries, say a Shabana Azmi, in parallel cinema but Ratna Pathak Shah, who celebrates her 62nd birthday on Monday, has her own interesting filmography and deserves all the credit for her work. While the popular sitcom Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai is arguably her most famous appearance, she has also appeared in some very interesting projects like the recent Lipstick Under My Burkha.
Born in 1957 in Mumbai, Ratna is the daughter of actor Dina Pathak and the younger sister of Supriya Pathak. She married Naseeruddin Shah in 1982. They have two sons, Imaad and Vivaan.
Here is a look at some of the best works starring Ratna:
This Ketan Mehta directorial featured Ratna as a woman who fights against patriarchy and harassment. The 1987 film had women of a village establish a sisterhood of solidarity against a lascivious subedaar and subjugation at the hands of men.
One of the most progressive TV shows in the 90s India, Tara focussed on the lives of the titular character and her three friends with Ratna playing one of them.
Lipstick Under My Burkha
The most recent film in Ratna’s kitty, Alankrita Srivastava’s directorial showcased Ratna as a middle-aged woman who not only has sexual desire but finds a way to fulfil them too. The film also starred Ahana Kumra, Vikrant Massey and Sushant Singh, among others.
Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na
While she has played a mother’s role in several films, this one stands out because of her character. In a comic twist, her dead husband (played by real-life husband Naseeruddin) talks to her via a portrait. Their chats were perhaps the best part of the film.
Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai
The hit 90s TV series cast Ratna as Maya Sarabhai, an upper middle-class woman who happily hides her bias behind a veil of class and style. With her spot-on comic timing, Ratna added layers to her portrayal.
Did we miss your favourite Ratna Shah movie? Share it with us @htshowbiz
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- After celebrating her sister's birthday, Khushi Kapoor took a flight out of India to visit her close friend Aaliyah Kashyap. The latter shared glimpses of Khushi's visit.
- Shahid Kapoor and his glamorous wife Mira Rajput rocked the airport look on Tuesday. See their pictures here.
- Suhana Khan shared another picture with her friends as she partied in New York. Just a day before, she had shared another photo picture with her friends.
- In an interview with Hindustan Times, Sharib Hashmi talks about The Family Man season 2, the experience of working with Kangana Ranaut on Dhaakad and more.
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.