Kangana Ranaut reacts to Mental Hai Kya controversy through sister Rangoli, dismisses claims
Actor Kangana Ranaut has commented on the controversy surrounding her upcoming film, Mental Hai Kya, in a statement released through her sister, Rangoli Chandel. The film was criticised for allegedly discriminating against people with mental health issues.
Rangoli on Saturday wrote on Twitter, “On behalf of Kangana all I want to say is that everyone will be proud of Mental Hai Kya the topic and subject she has chosen will trigger relevant talk and discussions around the stigma.”
The film was under the scanner recently when the Indian Psychiatry Society objected to its title and demanded a change. The society had written in their letter to the Censor Board of Film Certification (CBFC) chairperson Prasoon Joshi, “We take serious objections to the title of the movie which is discriminative, stigmatising, degrading, inhumane in projecting mental disorders and people who suffer from mental disorders. We strongly demand that the title be removed with immediate effect preventing further damage to the modesty of mental health service users. We also demand to censor any sequence in the movie that is violating the rights of persons with mental disorder.”
Several people on Twitter had also raised concerns about the film’s title and possible content. A user wrote, “The experience of dealing with #MentalHaiKya brings home the fact how deep rooted stigma against mental illness is and how long the multidimensional fight it is going to be to make India inclusive for Mentally Ill. It is real long war to be fought by millions.” The film’s marketing has often used the word ‘madness’ to signify fun entertainment. The poster carries the tagline, “Sanity is overrated.”
This isn’t the first time either Kangana or one of her films have been involved in a controversy. Previously, she replaced director Krish on the period epic Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi, against his wishes. She was accused of hijacking the production of Hansal Mehta’s Simran, and more recently, has been making headlines for her sustained personal and professional attacks on actor Alia Bhatt.
Pinkvilla quoted a spokesperson as saying that Mental Hai Kya will encourage people to embrace their individuality and distinctiveness. The film also stars Rajkummar Rao and Jimmy Shergill in supporting roles. Directed by Prakash Kovelamudi, written by Kanika Dhillon and produced by Ekta Kapoor, Mental Hai Kya is slated for a June 21 release.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sherlyn Chopra has accused disgraced director Sajid Khan of sexual misconduct, adding that he's protected by the Bollywood 'mafia'.
- Pahlaj Nihalani has said that although he hasn't received an invitation, he's heard that Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal are tying the knot this weekend.
- After Alia Bhatt's reported hospitalisation for exertion, her Gangubai Kathiawadi co-star, Seema Pahwa, said that director Sanjay Leela Bhansali doesn't rush actors with work.
- Malaika Arora has shared a throwback picture from her Goa vacation with Arjun Kapoor, along with some advice. Rahul Khanna said that he'll try to follow it.
- Actor Deepika Padukone answered quirky questions in an Instagram Ask Me Anything session on Tuesday.
- Deepika Padukone said that because of the upbringing she got, she believes in taking care of her home herself, instead of outsourcing duties to her staff.