Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is 20: Kajol says Ranbir, Alia, Janhvi can’t recreate her and Shah Rukh’s magic
To say that Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, which released on this date in 1998, is iconic would be an understatement. Everything about Karan Johar’s film, right from the trend-setting fashion to the music and the casting – Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Salman Khan and Rani Mukerji -- finds takers even today. Karan Johar had recently hinted that if a Kuch Kuch Hota Hai sequel is made, he would like to cast Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt and Janhvi Kapoor.
It remains one of Kajol’s most memorable performances as the tomboy-turned-stunner, Anjali. Her face lights up when you mention that 20 years have gone by in a jiffy.
How nostalgic are you feeling that Kuch Kuch Hota Hai has turned 20?
It’s hugely nostalgic. Twenty years is a long time. Most importantly, the film has so many memories attached to it.
What are some of your fondest memories?
We went to Ooty (Tamil Nadu) to shoot Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. We stayed in a hotel that had just come up. We were the first people to stay in that hotel. We were there for 40 days. I can’t imagine how they put up the set in Ooty, in the middle of a valley! They had created this set of houses, summer camp. It was an amazing feat. I remember Yash (Johar; Karan’s father) uncle clearly; he’s one of my fondest memories of the film. He was this huge driving force behind the way everything was done.
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was Karan’s first film. How was he as a debut director?
It was also his production house’s first film! He was very confident. I thought he would be a little insecure on the first day, but he proved me wrong. He took command of the situation, and made sure he was the captain of the ship.
Do you think Kuch Kuch Hota Hai gave birth to your image of a ‘spunky’ person?
That was pretty much my character from the beginning. ‘Spunky’ is a nice way to put outspoken. There were harsher words to describe me earlier! It came down to ‘spunky’ once KKHH released.
Was it ‘bubbly’? Didn’t you get fed up of it?
Yes, a bit harsher than bubbly. I don’t think I ever fed into it. I never tried to hide that I was intelligent, well-spoken and direct. I thought for myself, had an opinion, and never hid that. That’s what people thought of me then, and what they think of me now. It takes time and effort to fit into anybody’s mould. I’m lazy like that.
Karan recently said that if he directs a Kuch Kuch Hota Hai sequel, he would cast Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt and Janhvi Kapoor. Your thoughts?
Kudos, I hope they can. I know they won’t be able to recreate our magic, that’s not possible!
There was an animated film called Koochie Koochie Hota Hai that never released.
Yes, and he (Karan) wanted me to dub for it, but it never got finalised. I think the budget turned out to be too much.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Salman Khan reportedly shot for Shah Rukh Khan's Pathan on Thursday. See a picture from the set here.
- Rakhi Sawant visited her ailing mother at hospital, accompanied by Kashmera Shah and Sambhavna Seth, who assured 'emotional and financial support' for her.
- Yashraj Mukhate, the memelord musician behind viral tracks such as Rasode Mein Kaun Tha and Pawri Hori Hai, has spoken about his journey.
- On Shahid Kapoor's 40th birthday, his former step-father Rajesh Khattar recalled the 'normal family' dynamic they shared as Shahid was growing up.
- A faction of late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's fans called for a boycott of the film Chehre, said to feature his girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty. Rhea was removed from the promotional materials of the film.
- Sunny Leone, her daughter Nisha and sons Asher and Noah touched down in Mumbai after their trip to Kerala. They were welcomed by Daniel Weber.
Indian adaptation underway for Spanish thriller The Cleaning Lady, Siddharth Kumar Tewary reveals details
- Actor Saif Ali Khan once said that he should've added a disclaimer to his son Taimur's name, after him and his wife, Kareena Kapoor, were criticised for picking that name.
- Bipasha Basu and Karan Singh Grover were in Maldives for a brief holiday and shared lots of pictures from the island nation. Check out their latest pictures here.
- As Shahid Kapoor turns 40, his wife Mira Rajput took to Instagram and penned a sweet birthday note for the actor.
- Actor Zareen Khan has spoken about how being compared unfavourably to Katrina Kaif early in her career affected her.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut in a new tweet called a group of youths 'primitive monkeys' for getting answers on history and current affairs wrong.