Luka Chuppi box office day 2: Kartik Aaryan, Kriti Sanon’s film collects Rs 18 crore, Sonchiriya dies down at Rs 2.70 crore
Luka Chuppi, starring Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon, is flying at the box office despite mixed reviews. The film, which opened at Rs 8 crore, went on to collect around Rs 10 crore on its second day. Its collection now stands at a total of around Rs 18 crore.
Film trade analyst Taran Adarsh updated the box office figures of the film. He tweeted, “#LukaChuppi zooms upwards on Day 2... Another strong day [Day 3] will place it in a comfortable position due to the controlled costs... Will cross opening weekend biz of #SKTKS [₹ 26.57 cr] and #PKP2 [₹ 22.75 cr]... Fri 8.01 cr, Sat 10.08 cr. Total: Rs 18.09 cr. India biz.”
This is the best ever opening for Kartik, whose last film Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety had opened at Rs 6.42 crore. It was his biggest blockbuster and his only Rs 100 crore film.
Even the second day collections for Luka Chuppi are more than that of Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety. This film might just become the biggest hit of his career. This can also turn out to be Kriti’s biggest solo grosser, whose 2017 film Bareilly Ki Barfi had much lesser numbers despite being loved by critics and audiences.
The release of the film coincided with the release of Abhishek Chaubey’s dacoit drama Sonchiriya, which fell flat at the box office. After opening at just Rs 1.2 crore, the film collected Rs 2.70 crore on Saturday. The film boasts of a huge star cast including Sushant Singh Rajput, Manoj Bajpayee, Ashutosh Rana, Ranvir Shorey and Bhumi Pednekar.
Taran shared the box office figures of the film on Twitter. “#SonChiriya falls flat on Day 2... Minimal growth on Sat is not good news at all, seals the fate... Fri 1.20 cr, Sat 1.50 cr. Total: Rs 2.70 cr. India biz,” he tweeted.
While Sonchiriya failed to perform at the ticket windows, filmmaker Anurag Kashyap was all praises for the film. He took to Twitter to talk about it. He tweeted, “SONCHIRIYA is such an incredible film.. one way you look at it , it’s probably the greatest chase film made in India .. Dig deeper and you will find facets of India that our cinema doesn’t explore.. and kudos to the actors, writer and Chaubey. On 2nd viewing it gets even better.”
While Luka Chuppi released on more than 2100 screens in India and 407 screens overseas, Sonchiriya released on just 720 screens in India and 220 screens abroad.
The films also face competition from multi-starrer comedy Total Dhamaal, which crossed the Rs 100 crore mark on its second Saturday. Ajay Devgn, Madhuri Dixit, Esha Gupta, Anil Kapoor’s film continues to hold fort at the box office in its second week.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter, Suhana Khan, has shared a new picture on Instagram Stories, showing off her necklace collection.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's niece, Mallika Singh, shared precious memories with him on his birth anniversary. She said that she misses him ‘more than (he) can ever imagine’.
- Mira Rajput has shared new pictures from her Goa vacation with Shahid Kapoor. See her latest posts here.
- Kangana Ranaut criticised Twitter after a representative justified temporary restriction of her account, citing her now-deleted anti-Tandav tweet.
- Anil Kapoor was sceptical about playing Priyanka Chopra's father in Dil Dhadakne Do, as they were offered films as a romantic pair in the past. His son, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, convinced him to take up the role.
- Actor Tiger Shroff's sister, Krishna, has shared a special post on her 28th birthday, and Disha Patani is in awe. Check it out here.
- Actor Arjun Rampal has shared a new video with his son, Arik. His partner, Gabriella Demetriades, loves it.
- Varun Dhawan evaded commenting on his upcoming wedding with Natasha Dalal in Alibaug when photographers congratulated him. Watch the video here.
- Renuka Shahane, whose parents separated when she was eight years old, was ostracised by other children because she came from a 'broken family'.