Sidharth Malhotra claims to have been accepted in the industry, says ‘my performances override my consecutive films that have not done well’
From doing romantic comedies, action movies, thrillers, family dramas and now, a biopic, Sidharth Malhotra has shown variety in all his films. The actor says he wants to continue with the variety, as it gives him great thrill to explore alien territories with characters, especially in his last two releases: Jabariya Jodi in which he played a small town boy from Bihar, and Marjaavaan which saw him in the role of a ‘basti ka ladka’.
“To explore a world, a city, a language and lahza which I am not familiar with, is the fun when you portray something which is completely different from your personality,” shares the actor, adding, “I like to reinvent myself with films, and that’s how I personally like to govern my choice of films and scripts. Why should two of my Fridays look the same? I have been lucky to be accepted in an Ek Villain (2014), and also in a Kapoor & Sons (2016). That gave me a push to always challenge [myself].”
The 34-year-old’s first tryst with films happened when he was an assistant director on Karan Johar’s My Name Is Khan (2010). He made his acting debut two years later with Student of the Year in 2012. Like any other actor, his career has also seen its own share of ups and downs. However, his failures have not impacted his career in any way, and he has always bounced back.
“There are only a handful of actors who get accepted in the industry, and I have been lucky to be one of those. Since 2012, there has been a feeling that people like to see my face on the screen. People see potential, they like my work, and I think that’s where my performances override my consecutive films that have not done well,” he says.
Talking about the negative comments that he has received for his films, Sidharth says, “I don’t think I have got criticism in the sense that they said, ‘we didn’t like you’, and ‘are not convinced with your film’. Unfortunately, it boils down to the film’s box office performance. This is a very long game and is not something that you can crack immediately,” he shares.
The actor says that he has been lucky that producers and directors realise that creative aspect and the fact that “his talent aspect is not what is hampering the film”. “So many aspects make a film successful or not — the writing, direction, music and story. I can only play my part as an actor. People have realised that my part is correct in the film, rest is up to the massive team that comes on board,” signs off Sidharth.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sunny Leone 'found' husband Daniel Weber wearing nothing but a strategically placed hat, and decided to shoot a video of him for her Instagram followers.
- The trailer for Flight, a new film starring Mohit Chadda, has been released. Watch here.
- Shabana Azmi shared a rare throwback picture from the golden era. While there are number of well-known faces in the picture, she mentioned how she failed to recall who the Soviets were in the picture.
- A video of Shraddha grooving to Stree song Kamariya during her birthday celebrations in Maldives has appeared online.
- Ibrahim Ali Khan attended the wedding of Punjab CM Amarinder Singh's granddaughter recently, and pictures of him having a good time have surfaced online.
- Priyanka Chopra and mother Madhu Chopra were recently spotted taking a walk on a London street. The actor is in the UK for the shooting of spy series, Citadel.
- Tiger Shroff, mom Ayesha Shroff, sister Krishna Shroff and rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani came together for the actor's birthday dinner.
- Shraddha Kapoor turns 34 on Wednesday and to celebrate we are revisiting the time she told her father, Shakti Kapoor, how proud she was of him.
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.