Suhana Khan, once described by Shah Rukh as ‘dusky’, endorses decision to rename Fair & Lovely fairness cream
Actor Shah Rukh Khan’s daughter, Suhana Khan, has endorsed Hindustan Unilever’s decision to rename its ‘fairness cream’. The product that used to be called Fair & Lovely will now no longer include the word ‘fair’.
In a statement, HU said, “We’re committed to a skin care portfolio that’s inclusive of all skin tones, celebrating the diversity of beauty. That’s why we’re removing the words ‘fairness’, ‘whitening’ & ‘lightening’ from products, and changing the Fair & Lovely brand name.”
Suhana took to Instagram stories to repost the news. The controversy around fairness creams in India was reignited after the death of George Floyd sparked off Black Lives Movement protests across America and several other nations. Shah Rukh in a 2018 interview had described Suhana as ‘dusky’. “I’ll be honest; my daughter is sanwli (dusky), but she’s the most beautiful girl in the world. And nobody can tell me otherwise,” he said.
After several Indian celebrities tweeted in support of the movement, actor Abhay Deol was among the many who asked them to look at systemic oppression in their own backyard, and not promote the use of fairness creams.
“Do you think Indian celebrities will stop endorsing fairness creams now,” he shared, adding data about search trends. Abhay continued, “Over the years these companies have turned their attention towards the Indian Men, who are now trying to be ‘fair and handsome’, and have dedicated power white ranges for them too.” The actor also shared brand-specific data.
Actor Priyanka Chopra, who used to endorse fairness products, had said in 2015 that she stopped endorsing them because she “felt really bad about it.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ankita Lokhande, in an Instagram live, talked about going through depression but not opening up about it. She said that she did not have anyone to support her except her family and some fans.
- Bhumi Pednekar shared a number of behind-the-scenes photos and videos from the making of Sonchiriya as the film completed two years of its release. She included a special dedication for Sushant Singh Rajput.
- As Karisma Kapoor showed off her figure in a new Instagram post, Manish Malhotra and Sophie Choudry were reminded of her Dil To Pagal Hai days.
Vineet Kumar Singh: My career has been built from one-two scenes; I have played the role of a dead body too
- Kangana Ranaut on Monday shared photos of her partially demolished Mumbai office, and said that her 'heart broke again' after she visited the property.
- Ankita Lokhande, in an Instagram live, urged Sushant Singh Rajput's fans to stop blaming her and said that no one knows her side of the story. She also revealed that she went through depression.
- Sanjay Dutt introduced fans to his new look in a family portrait shared by his wife Maanayata Dutt. He could be seen sporting bleached hair in the photo.
- Priyanka Chopra said that while she gets a lot of love and protectiveness from her South Asian fans, there are a lot of people from the community who are negative about her.
- Actor Rahul Bose has reacted to Anil Kapoor's story about almost killing him while shooting a scene for Dil Dhadakne Do.