AP | , Louisville
PUBLISHED ON JUN 30, 2021 07:46 PM IST
- Louisville Metro Police Department spokesman Dwight Mitchell told the Courier Journal that the agency was "collecting evidence and canvassing the neighborhood for any witnesses.”
UPDATED ON JUN 17, 2021 05:34 PM IST
To be unveiled on the June 19 holiday marking emancipation from slavery in America, the exhibit titled "Monumental Reckoning" is on the spot where Francis Scott Key's statue was dislodged on Juneteenth 2020 after the murder of George Floyd
PUBLISHED ON JUN 12, 2021 09:17 AM IST
The awards were announced Friday during a remote ceremony that honored the best work in journalism and the arts in 2020, a year defined in part by the police killing of George Floyd and the protests and reckoning which followed.
PUBLISHED ON JUN 12, 2021 12:46 AM IST
- And amid the national reckoning on policing, communities are questioning who should become a police officer today.
PUBLISHED ON JUN 04, 2021 09:54 AM IST
Crews on Thursday removed the concrete barriers that blocked traffic at a Minneapolis intersection but community activists quickly put up makeshift barriers and resumed chanting Floyd's name.
PTI | , Washington
UPDATED ON MAY 26, 2021 06:33 AM IST
The first anniversary of George Floyd's death was supposed to be a milestone moment in Washington, a time to mark the passage of a policing law to make criminal justice more just.
Reuters | | Posted by Prashasti Singh, Washington/minneapolis
PUBLISHED ON MAY 26, 2021 05:32 AM IST
George Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man who died in handcuffs with his neck pinned to a Minneapolis street under a white police officer's knee, become the face of a national movement against police brutality and bias in the U.S. criminal justice system.
AP | | Posted by Kunal Gaurav, Minneapolis
PUBLISHED ON MAY 25, 2021 10:00 PM IST
- The intersection has been barricaded since soon after George Floyd's death and quickly turned into a memorial — and also a challenging spot for the city, with police officers not always welcome.
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Kunal Gaurav, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON MAY 25, 2021 08:54 PM IST
- Former US president Barack Obama said that hundreds more Americans have died in encounters with police since the murder of George Floyd but the year has also given “reasons to hope.”
PUBLISHED ON MAY 12, 2021 10:32 PM IST
- Chauvin, a white former officer convicted in a Minnesota state court of murdering Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, during an arrest last May, is scheduled to be sentenced on June 25.
PUBLISHED ON MAY 01, 2021 09:37 PM IST
- Dickinson High School science teacher Howard Zlotkin, who is white, is heard to say people are “whining and crying about Black Lives Matter."
PUBLISHED ON APR 29, 2021 06:17 AM IST
"It was extremely draining... We had to watch video at least five, six times a day" of George Floyd's ordeal, which ended beneath the police officer's knee, he said on gospel star Erica Campbell's podcast.
PUBLISHED ON APR 24, 2021 07:36 AM IST
- The 45-year-old ex-officer Derek Chauvin-- who knelt on Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes -- faces up to 40 years in prison after being found guilty of all charges Tuesday over the death of the unarmed man.
PUBLISHED ON APR 23, 2021 12:28 PM IST
Many were posting the release to highlight the distance between the initial police narrative and the evidence that led to the conviction Tuesday, including an excruciating video shot by a teenage bystander of Chauvin with his knee on Floyd's neck, even after Floyd had stopped moving.
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 08:56 AM IST
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 07:55 AM IST
Former US president Barack Obama issued a statement on Twitter an hour after ex-Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin was found guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the trial over George Floyd's death.
Reuters | , Washington
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 06:37 AM IST
Joe Biden also praised the "brave young woman" who recorded Derek Chauvin kneeling on George Floyd's neck, and cited the police officers who testified for the prosecution in the case "instead of closing ranks."
AP | , Minneapolis
PUBLISHED ON APR 15, 2021 05:42 PM IST
Fowler also testified that he would classify the manner of death “undetermined,” rather than homicide, as the county's chief medical examiner ruled.
AP | , Brooklyn Center
PUBLISHED ON APR 14, 2021 06:31 AM IST
More than 1,000 protesters gathered again Tuesday at Brooklyn Center's heavily guarded police headquarters, now ringed by concrete barriers and a tall metal fence, and where police in riot gear and National Guard soldiers stood watch.
AP | , Brooklyn Center
PUBLISHED ON APR 14, 2021 12:23 AM IST
- Officer Kim Potter and Police Chief Tim Gannon both resigned two days after the death of 20-year-old Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center. Potter, a 26-year veteran, had been on administrative leave following Sunday’s shooting.
AP | , Brooklyn Centre, Minnesota, Us
PUBLISHED ON APR 12, 2021 11:15 PM IST
- Daunte Wright, 20, died Sunday in a metropolitan area that was already on edge because of the trial of the first of four police officers charged in George Floyd’s death.
By hindustantimes.com | Written by Kunal Gaurav, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON APR 09, 2021 07:51 PM IST
- A critical care doctor contradicted defence claims that George Floyd’s health condition and small amounts of fentanyl in his system caused loss of oxygen.
Reuters | , Minneapolis
PUBLISHED ON APR 08, 2021 10:12 PM IST
The way that Chauvin and other officers pushed Floyd into the street as they arrested him was like putting the left side of his body "in a vice," Dr. Martin Tobin testified.
AFP | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON APR 07, 2021 02:58 AM IST
Morries Hall, who was with Floyd in his car shortly before his death, is in custody and appeared by video camera at the hearing after he was subpoenaed to testify.
Reuters | , Minneapolis
PUBLISHED ON APR 06, 2021 04:22 AM IST
Over 3-1/2 hours of testimony, Arradondo disputed the defense's claim that Chauvin, who has pleaded not guilty to murder and manslaughter charges, was following the training he had received in his 19 years on the force.
PUBLISHED ON APR 04, 2021 10:32 PM IST
In response to several high-profile deaths of people with mental health issues in police custody, lawmakers in at least eight states are introducing legislation to change how law enforcement agencies respond to those in crisis.
PUBLISHED ON APR 01, 2021 10:29 PM IST
- Prosecutors put Ross on the stand as part of an effort to humanize Floyd in front of the jury and portray him as more than a crime statistic.
Agencies | , Minneapolis
PUBLISHED ON MAR 31, 2021 06:57 AM IST
During the witness testimony, prosecutors played videos of the arrest to the jury taken from multiple angles, including teenager Darnella Frazier’s video that shows Derek Chauvin pressing his knee into the neck of Floyd for about nine minutes.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 30, 2021 09:46 PM IST
Prosecutor Matthew Frank played back Williams’ 911 call, on which he is heard identifying officer Derek Chauvin by his badge number and telling the dispatcher that Chauvin had been keeping his knee on Floyd’s neck despite warnings that Floyd’s life was in danger.
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Mallika Soni
PUBLISHED ON MAR 30, 2021 03:59 PM IST
- Protesters gathered outside the courthouse showing the interest that people had in the trial which is being recorded. Ben Crump, a lawyer for Floyd’s family, told supporters on Monday that “the whole world is watching.”