Want to see the day when Tom Cruise, Christopher Nolan boast about doing Hindi films, says Shah Rukh Khan
Shah Rukh Khan in a recent interview was asked why he hasn’t done a Hollywood film yet, and he countered by saying that he aims higher. Shah Rukh said that he one day hopes for a star like Tom Cruise to be able say that he has been given a chance in a Hindi film, instead of Indian actors boasting about finding work abroad.
Shah Rukh was speaking to Economic Times about the future of cinema in India. The actor, who has struck a production deal with streaming giant Netflix, said that “Netflix and all other platforms are here to stay. It gives an opportunity to a lot of youngsters who didn’t know where to take their small films.”
He said that while he is proud of what actors such as the late Om Puri and now Priyanka Chopra, Irrfan Khan and other are doing by broadening their horizons, he has not done a Hollywood movie simply because he hasn’t been asked. “I don’t even know if I am good enough to do it — I think my English is a little weak,” he said.
He said he hopes to make Indian films of international quality, despite having the disadvantage of not being in English - a global language with ‘mass appeal’. “Again, not taking away from the greatness of anything that others have achieved, I’d like Tom Cruise to say one day that ‘I’ve been given a chance in a Hindi film’,” Shah Rukh continued. “Man, that will be wonderful. Christopher Nolan would say that there is a producer in India who wants him to make a film,” he said. “Inshallah that will happen.”
The first product of Shah Rukh’s Netflix deal is the upcoming show Bard of Blood, starring Emraan Hashmi.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rohan Shrestha's father, Rakesh Shrestha, said that he would be very happy if his son and Shraddha Kapoor decide to get married.
- Rakesh Roshan took to social media and revealed he received the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine shot. He also pointed out the uniqueness of the day.
- Alia Bhatt took to Instagram and shared new production pictures from the upcoming movie Brahmastra. The actor stars with Ranbir Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan in the movie.
- Actor Hazel Keech, the wife of cricketer Yuvraj Singh, announced that she is going on a social media detox. She said that she will be back but 'not too soon'.
- Kangana Ranaut is 'thrilled' to know how she is 'awesome at everything' she does. On Thursday, she shared photos of her smoothie bowl, after many claimed that she had pulled the picture off the internet.
- Parineeti Chopra has unveiled the teaser of her upcoming film Saina. She plays badminton player Saina Nehwal in the film.
- Abhishek Bachchan has shared a picture from the sets of Dasvi and is seen in a powerful avatar. He plays Ganga Ram Chaudhary in the comedy film.
- Following IT raids at Anurag Kashyap's premises, Neeraj Ghaywan shared a picture from his library and tweeted, 'there’s definitely something there inside those books, too much wealth in them.'
- Slumdog Millionaire star Madhur Mittal has been accused of sexual assault by a former girlfriend. An FIR has been filed against the actor.