Laptop on bed triggers fire, man uses bathroom window to reach safety
When 26-year-old Rahul Singh went to sleep the previous night, he had left his laptop on the bed as usual. That innocuous action almost cost him his life — he woke up on Tuesday morning to find the bed on fire.
The man had to exit his seventh storey flat at River Heights in Raj Nagar Extension through a small window in the bathroom, jump on to a beam nearby where remain there till the fire department arrived at the spot and pulled him to safety.
Singh, who works as an engineer with a multinational networking and telecommunications company in Noida, said he arrived home early Tuesday after a night shift and used his laptop for a while before sleeping.
“I left my laptop in sleep mode on a bed and slept in another bedroom. An hour later, around 8.30am, I woke up with a choking sensation and I started to vomit. There was thick black smoke in the entire flat. The portion of the mattresses where I had kept my laptop was on fire. I could not see anything and rushed to the bathroom to get some air,” Singh said.
“My wife had left for work by then after locking the flat from outside. The smoke was so thick that It was not possible for me to go to the main door and open it . I opened the window of the bathroom and saw a beam on the opposite side — at a distance of about 4-5 feet. I crawled out of the window and jumped on to the beam and raised the alarm,” he added.
Society residents who heard his cries rushed to the spot and also informed the fire department.
Sunil Kumar Singh, chief fire officer, said, “It was a scary situation. We had to break into his flat and all rooms were filled with thick smoke. we managed to douse the fire that probably started from the laptop kept on the bed. Then our firemen went to the roof and used ropes to pull Rahul to safety.”
Singh hails from Etah in UP and his wife is a teacher at a playschool in Raj Nagar Extension.
“The man suffered scratches in his escape through the small window. There was no option for him but to move out of the flat at any cost. So the window was the only available exit,” the CFO said.
Police in Karnataka have succeeded in catching three more bike thieves who were involved in two separate cases. Bike theft: Chickpete traffic police, Bengaluru. August 10 A two-wheeler thief was caught by traffic police after he was stopped for not wearing a helmet. Bike theft: Belagavi. August 10 Meanwhile, in Belagavi, Kudachi police have arrested two persons for stealing bikes in various police stations limits. As many as 26 bikes have been recovered and seized.
Meghalaya will be hosting the upcoming North East Olympics Games beginning October 30 till November 6, 2022 in Shillong. Soon after chairing a high-level meeting between the North East Organising Committee, Directorate of Sports & Youth Affairs and the North East Olympic Association, sports & youth affairs minister Banteidor Lyngdoh stated that the sports selected were decided based on the availability of infrastructure and on the advice of the Meghalaya State Olympic Association.
The Bharatiya Janata Party's Karnataka unit on Tuesday took out a rally in Bengaluru in support of the central leadership's 'Har Ghar Tiranga' campaign in the run up to of India's 75th Independence Day. BJP National General Secretary C T Ravi along with several party workers participated in the 'Tiranga Yatra' by walking the streets with the tricolour. Not all were happy with the quality of flags.
A petition has been filed in the Gujarat High Court by Ahmedabad based Lord Buddha Foundation seeking inclusion of the Mahar community in SC (Scheduled Caste) category. Architect of the Indian Constitution, Dr Bhim Rao Ambedkar belonged to this community and they are recognised in most states of country barring Gujarat. The word Mahar is derived from the words 'Maha' which means great and 'Rashtra' means country or “people from the great country”.
Delhi's air quality was in the satisfactory category on Thursday morning as overcast weather and drizzle were likely on Thursday while the mercury was expected to drop to around 35C. On Wednesday, the average 24-hour AQI was 102 in the moderate category. An AQI between zero and 50 is considered 'good', 51 and 100 'satisfactory', 101 and 200 'moderate', 201 and 300 'poor', 301 and 400 'very poor', and 401 and 500 'severe'.