SLC denies reports of security concern in Pak during Asia Cup
The beleaguered Pakistan Cricket Board was today saved from further headache after its Sri Lankan counterpart rubbished reports of having developed a cold feet on playing in Pakistan for the Asia Cup in June-July.
Media reports said that Sri Lanka had expressed reservations over the security situation in Pakistan and they could reconsider playing in the Asia Cup in these circumstances.
But SLC Chief Executive Duleep Mendis denied any such security concern.
"No we have expressed no sort of concern or reservations over the security situation in Pakistan to anyone including the Pakistan Cricket Board," Mendis said.
"We remain committed to playing in the Asia Cup like other nations and we have given our confirmation to the Pakistan board in recent meetings in New Delhi and Kuala Lumpur," Mendis told Geo English.
Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, UAE and Hong Kong are participating in the Asia Cup scheduled to start from June 26 in Karachi and Lahore.
PCB is reeling from an expected Australian pullout from their scheduled tour from March 29 which is expected to badly hit Pakistan cricket.
Although Cricket Australia has yet to inform the Pakistan board about pulling out of the tour but the PCB is privately bracing itself for such a decision.
CA Public Relations Manager Peter Young today said though the decision on touring Pakistan had been delayed by a few days but it didn't necessarily mean that the tour was off.
"We have had a long weekend in Australia and all our officials are out of office and until and unless they come back we can't reach a decision," he said.