Sourav Ganguly’s academy banned for age fudging
In an exemplary ruling, the Cricket Association of Bengal has banned 13 coaching centres, including one with which Ganguly is associated, for one year after their players were found to have played in a tournament with forged certificates.Updated: Dec 20, 2013 01:41 IST
In an exemplary ruling, the Cricket Association of Bengal has banned 13 coaching centres for one year after their players were found to have played in an age-group tournament with forged certificates. One of the coaching centres is the Videocon School of Cricket with which former India captain Sourav Ganguly is associated. Ganguly is also the chairman of Bengal’s cricket coaching committee.
Mainland Sambaran Academy, which is supervised by former national selector Sambaran Banerjee, is another notable academy among the coaching centres banned for one year.
Among the punished four are from Ganguly’s academy while three are from Banerjee’s coaching centre. The move comes after almost 50 players were found to have played in the under-14 Ambar Roy Invitational meet earlier this year by furnishing forged documents. All players were summoned by the CAB cricket committee but less than half of them finally appeared to explain their case.
“We have decided to ban 13 cricket coaching centres from playing any age-group tournament organised by the CAB for one year. The 42 accused players have been banned from the same for two years,” said CAB cricket committee chairman Samar Pal after the meeting.
The CAB also decided the next time any player is caught forging his age he will banned for life while the respective academy and the coach would be banned from playing any CAB tournament for ten years.
“Every academy has to take responsibility for the authenticity of the certificates furnished by the players. It’s not possible for the CAB to conduct medical tests,” said CAB joint secretary Subir Ganguly.
While the academies have accepted the ruling some of them said there wasn’t enough clarity earlier. “We had submitted the age certificates of all the players when the CAB said they wanted to check them but they didn’t come back to us with the results. But now that they have made it clear that every player is our responsibility we will act accordingly,” said a Videocon School of Cricket official.
First Published: Dec 19, 2013 21:44 IST