Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 25, 2019-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Two arrested for hurling stones at church priest

The priest in his complaint to the police had said that the two men had demanded food at his daughter’s birthday party which he refused and which triggered the attack.

delhi Updated: Sep 02, 2018 00:21 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Assault,Priest,karol Bagh
The two men were arrested from Delhi’s Pratap Nagar area after their identities were established and location was tracked through technical surveillance.(Representative Photo)

Five days after a priest of a church in Karol Bagh was attacked with stones while he was attending to some guests outside their home in north Delhi’s Pratap Nagar during his daughter’s birthday party, police on Saturday claimed to have solved the case with the arrest of two men.

Police said the arrested men, Manish and Vishal, had hurled stones at the church priest, Dinesh Dass, as he did not allow them to eat at the function. One of the stones hit Dass on the back of his head. The two were arrested from Pratap Nagar on Thursday after their identities were established and location was tracked through technical surveillance. None of them has a prior record of criminal activity, police said.

“Over a dozen CCTV cameras installed in the neighbourhood were scanned and hundreds of local ruffians were questioned before we finally zeroed in on the two suspects,” said a police officer privy to the details.

Deputy commissioner of police (North) Nupur Prasad said a case of attempt to commit culpable homicide was registered on August 28 at the Gulabi Bagh police station on the basis of the priest’s complaint.

In the complaint, Prasad said, Dass told police, on the night of August 27, he had organised his daughter’s birthday party in the lane outside his home in Pratap Nagar. The lane was blocked for public movement since the family had set up a tent to organise a prayer meeting and dinner.

“Dass was busy seeing off some guests when the two boys came and insisted that the lane be cleared so that they can pass. When Dass told them that lane will be cleared after the party, the duo demanded that they be allowed inside the tent and have food,” said the DCP.

She said Dass did not allow them to eat. The two men then hurled stones at him, one of which hit Dass’s head.

The attackers fled and Dass went to a nearby hospital for treatment. He called police after returning home.

First Published: Sep 02, 2018 00:21 IST