Delhi court to decide on CBI's closure report in Bofors case
A day after the Income Tax Tribunal said that late Win Chadha and Italian businessman Ottavia Quattrocchi received kickbacks worth crores, a Delhi court today, is all set to decide whether the CBI should withdraw its case against Quattrocchi. 24-year-old scamUpdated: Jan 04, 2011 09:15 IST
The Tis Hazari court in New Delhi today, is all set to decide whether the CBI should withdraw its case against Ottavio Quattrocchi in Bofors pay-off case or not. The Income Tax Appellate Tribunal on Monday said that late Win Chaddha got Rs 52.6 crore and Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi got $7 million (about Rs 13 crore at 1987 rates) as kickbacks.
The ITAT’s ruling could have implications for the main Bofors case, in which the CBI is trying to convince a Delhi court to accept its closure report, saying it doesn’t have enough evidence to establish the kickbacks money trail.
An ITAT bench of RP Tolani and RC Sharma, which dismissed Win Chaddha's son Hersh W Chaddha’s appeal against I-T department's claim of Rs 52 crore and Rs 85 lakh from his father for assessment years 1987-88 and 1988-89, wondered why the department did not investigate Quattrocchi and his AE Services.
In September 2010, the Central Bureau of Investigation told the Delhi court that there was no point in seeking prosecution of Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi in the Bofors pay-off case as repeated attempts to extradite him had failed and two decades had already elapsed in the case.
First Published: Jan 04, 2011 08:47 IST