Metro projects are subject to green clearance, says NGT
NOIDA: The National Green Tribunal on Tuesday said Metro projects must have environment clearance from state environment impact assessment authorities before work begins on the ground.
The NGT order comes in response to a petition filed by Noida-based environmental activist, Vikrant Tongad, who demanded that as per the EIA 2006 notification, environmental clearances must be obtained for Metro projects.
“Our plea was that why didn’t DMRC and Noida Metro Rail Corporation, building 30-km Noida-Greater Noida Metro link, seek environmental clearances before starting work in 2014. We questioned why DMRC did not take environmental clearances for its projects. Today, NGT said DMRC will have to seek post facto environmental clearances for Noida-Greater Noida Metro projects. Even for other Metro projects the clearance will be required,” said Rahul Chaudhary, advocate, on behalf of the petitioner.
“DMRC has not yet received the copy of NGT’s order regarding environmental clearances for Metro projects. Once DMRC receives the order, we will examine it and take appropriate action,” said Anuj Dyal, DMRC spokesperson.
On April 27, the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest and the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation had told the NGT that there was no need to obtain environmental clearances for Metro projects.
Petitioner Tongad had said that without such clearances, the Metro project would affect the ecology of Noida and Greater Noida.
The NGT had sought replies from the environment ministry, DMRC and the Noida Metro Rail Corporation (NMRC) on October 26, 2015, after Tongad’s petition.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.
- Appropriate allocation of funds in this regard will be made in the upcoming Delhi budget that is likely to be presented this week, he added .
- In February that year, just before Holi, he went back to the Sadar Bazar trader with the water gun he had produced and also the Chinese one.
- Experts said such initiatives will ensure that the only continuous green space in the national capital is preserved.
- A host of functions to honour women have also been scheduled at different police stations and DCP offices.
- Adesh Gupta has also started ‘mandal pravas’ (stay in each municipal wards) to connect with the party workers and supporters.
- As part of the revamp, new CCTV cameras, with better technology for improved clarity, additional escalators, bird spikes to prevent tripping of the overhead electrification (OHE) due to bird menace, were also installed.
- The Panth Ratan Baba Harban Singh Ji Dialysis block in Bala Sahib hospital complex started treating patients from Sunday.
- Whatever, the two ascetics are buried next to each other, separated by a neem tree. For that reason, many consider the landmark as a twin shrine.