GATE 2016 application process begins, check out key dates
The registration process for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2016) begins on September 1 and will end on October 1 this year.Updated: Sep 01, 2015 13:54 IST
The registration process for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2016) begins on September 1 and will end on October 1 this year. GATE mainly tests candidates' comprehensive understanding in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science.
GATE scores are used for admission to post-graduate engineering programmes in centrally-funded Indian institutes, including the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). Some public and private sector undertakings also consider the GATE scores for employment processes.
If you are eligible for the test, you can apply online for GATE 2016 at appsgate.iisc.ernet.in The link will be active from 00.00 hours on 01-09-2015. You can click here to go to the official website.
Some important dates to remember if you are planning to take GATE in 2016:
* The application process begins on September 1 (Tuesday) at 00:00 hrs
* The last date for submission of online application through website is October 1 (Thursday), 23:59 hrs
* The last date for request for change in the choice of city is November 20, (Friday)
* Availability of admit card on the online application interface for printing: Thursday, December 17, 2015
* The online exams will be conducted on January 30 (Saturday) and January 31 (Sunday), and February 6 (Saturday) and February 7 (Sunday) between 9.00am and 12.00 noon; 2.00pm and 5.00pm
* The results will be announced on March 19 (17:00 hrs) on the online application website
New in GATE 2016
The organising institute for GATE in 2016 is Indian Institute of Science (IISc). Students appearing for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) next year will have the option to challenge the answer keys that are available two weeks after the tests.
While they will have to pay a fee to challenge the answers, students said that the ability to do so is a welcome change. The Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) has had the option of challenging the answers since it started.
According to the notification released by IISc, "After completion of GATE 2016 examination, all answer keys will be made available for dispute within a short time. Every answer key can be challenged. A nominal fee will be levied to prevent frivolous challenges."
"Last year, only answer keys were available for students to review. The option to challenge answers is a good incorporation and will help students score better," Amartya Singh, course director of TIME, a coaching institute.
Apart from challenging the answer keys, this year, students will not be allowed to carry their own calculators into the exam as they will be able to perform calculations on the screens. The GATE notification says that mock tests will also include the on-screen calculator so that students can get used to it.
Moreover, a new paper- Petroleum Engineering - has been introduced.
First Published: Aug 31, 2015 17:12 IST