If you are looking for a good mix of academics and sports, Rizvi College may be the place for you. Located at Carter Road opposite the sea face, the college is one of the institutions that comes under the Rizvi Education Society.education Updated: Jul 13, 2011 14:45 IST
If you are looking for a good mix of academics and sports, Rizvi College may be the place for you. Located at Carter Road opposite the sea face, the college is one of the institutions that comes under the Rizvi Education Society. Other colleges that come under this include Rizvi Engineering College, Rizvi Hotel Management College, Rizvi Law College, Rizvi Business Management College, Rizvi Architecture college and Rizvi Bachelor of education (BEd) College.
The foundation stone of Rizvi College of Arts, Science and Commerce was laid by Vasant Dada Patil (then chief minister, Maharashtra) on March 31, 1985. The college has got 36 class rooms, a full-fledged library and an administrative block. The colleges are affiliated to Mumbai University. The college offers BA (Bachelor of arts), BMM (Bachelor of mass media), BSc (home science), BSc in computer Science, BSc (IT), BCom, BMS (Bachelor of management studies), BBI (Bachelor of banking and insurance) and BAF (Bachelor of accounting and finance). The college also offers the MCom option and PhD courses in zoology and botany.
On the campus
Library: The library of the college was built in 1985. The library has about 20,000 books which are organised subject wise according to Dewey Decimal classification system. There are other books such as periodicals, national and international journals, magazines, numbers of CDs and DVDs are also present. The library is providing N-List service (INFLIBNET) for its readers. The library is full computerised since 2010.
Laboratory: The science faculty has undergraduate and graduate laboratory for all subjects, which are equipped with the latest facilities and equipment.
E- learning centre: The college has an e-learning centre which has about 70 internet-enabled computers available to students for 30 minutes at a time. Apart from that, the computer laboratory has got a touch screen (TV) connected to the computer, used for teaching the students.
Canteen: The campus has a spacious and airy canteen.
Auditorium: This is available for students’ performances and debates.
1. The annual cultural festival Jashn-e-Rizvi is the most popular event for the Rizviites. It is a two-day inter collegiate festival which covers acting, dancing, fashion designing, radio jockey, etc.
2. The college excels in sports. Many players in the IPL teams are from Rizvi College. They college has trophies in various sports.
3. There is a special health care and counseling cell for children to guide them. Apart from that, there is an NSS unit that organises free health checks such as free dental check-up and eye check-up for our children.
4. Recently, the college has received `25 lakh from the University Grants Commission for research work.
5. The college has a language laboratory to help students improve their speaking and writing skills.
Watch out for
1. A hot spot for food just outside the college is ‘yummies’. You will always find Rizviites munching on snacks here.
2. Anna Dosa Corner is another food joint next to the college which serves hot and spicy masala dosas and medu vadas.
3. The college is located at Carter Road, close to the sea and a lot of Rizvi College students meet here after college hours.
4. The college is at 20 minutes distance from Bandra station. There is special bus, the 220, for Rizvi College.
1. Jashn-e-Rizvi is a well-known college festival that is held in the month of November every year. It is a two-day inter collegiate function .
2. 70 Bmm is another famous function organised by the BMM department in February every year.
3. R-com–IT–ment is a two- day function organised by the computer science and IT department in January .
4. The Telematches or the German telegames are the annual event organised for Rizvi college students.
Cells and Clubs
The college has a gymkhana club and NSS and NCC cells which are very active. There is a special health care and counselling cell to counsel students. The college has also got a special UGC Resource Centre and a Placement Cell to help students secure jobs and also to help students doing research work. There is also a drama cell. The students of Rizvi won the first prize in inter-collegiate street play competition in 2010-2011.
Principal: Dr Farooqui MZ
“At Rizvi college of Arts/Science/Commerce,we believe in holistic all- round development. The college is justly proud of winning 20-sports championship of the university of Mumbai. We are proud of our faculty and other administrative staff who go out of the way to help the students in all possible ways. The college management gives scholarships and free workshops to a number of needy and deserving students.”
Alumni: Shashant Shah, director of the film Chalo Delhi
“I had a fantastic stint at Rizvi College. I studied BSc(chemistry) from there. I very fondly remember my participation in the western dance and solo dance events. I took part in a mimicry as well. Rizvi College was always very supportive of my co-curricular activities. I’ve spent many memorable moments there in the canteen and backstage. I could say that my experience there has helped me as a director today.
Student: Mohammed Hasan Nahim, TYBSc (CS)
“My days at Rizvi College have been full of fun and I never felt lonely in the college. Teachers in Rizvi are very knowledgeable and teach with a lot of interest and passion. I love the location of my college — opposite the sea face near Carter Road. The library of our college is well- stocked and computerised. The canteen of our college is spacious and airy. I never get bored in the college premises as there is always some thing happening. ”
Student: Iram Khan, TYBSc(IT)
5 favourite TV shows
1. Roadies: I love the spirit of adventure in the show. Moreover, it’s a reality show and I really like to see the tasks performed.
2. Big Boss: I am a big Salman Khan fan. Also, the controversies in Big Boss are entertaining.
3. Dus Ka Dum: I like this gameshow because Salman Khan hosts it.
4. Balika Vadhu: I’ve been following this soap ever since it started and when Aalandi, the main character, was still a child.
5. Pyaar Ki Ek Kahaani: I am a fan of the main male character — Vivaan. Also, the plot has vampires which makes the show extremely exciting.
‘An online library catalogue and e-books’
Student: Kasim Hasan Meghani, TYBSc(IT)
“We have a very nice library in our college. But I wish they’d have an online library facility too, from where we could download e-books. I would also like an online catalogue. We should also have a basketball court in the campus. Our college does very well in sports and I’m sure a court will be put to good use.”
Rohit Sharma (cricketer),
Wasim Jafar (cricketer)
Interview: Dr Farooqui MZ principal of Rizvi College click here
First Published: Jul 12, 2011 17:10 IST