Michael Douglas says tumour has vanished
Five months after being diagnosed with throat cancer, veteran Hollywood actor Michael Douglas says in his first interview since the illness that he has successfully beaten it. Read on to know more.entertainment Updated: Jan 12, 2011 13:25 IST
Five months after being diagnosed with throat cancer, veteran Hollywood actor Michael Douglas says he has beaten his illness. In his first interview since undergoing chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment, the 66-year-old actor said that his tumour is gone and he is confident he has beaten cancer, reports the Daily Mail.
“The odds are, with the tumour gone and what I know about this particular type of cancer, that I''ve got it beat,” Douglas told Matt Lauer in an interview on NBC's Today show.
The Oscar-winning actor, who was given just a 50-/50 chance of surviving the stage four cancer when it was first diagnosed four months ago, is already looking forward to making the most of the rest of his life.
"It's put a timeline on my life. I'm 66 now. You know, I'm fortunate I've got a mother who's 88. She''ll kill me. She may be 87. My father's 94. So, you know, I feel good about those genes," he said.
“But it's definitely a third act. And so you're a little more conscious of your time in how you choose to spend it,” he added.
Douglas had been on tenterhooks waiting to see the results after completing his cancer treatment before Christmas.
But last month, doctors told him his chances of a full recovery had increased to 80 percent and he was spotted taking his 42-year-old wife and two young children, Dylan, ten, and seven-year-old Carys on trips to Disney World and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida.
First Published: Jan 11, 2011 16:46 IST