Bhajan singer Narendra Chanchal dies at 80, Daler Mehndi and Harbhajan Singh pay tributes
Popular bhajan singer Narendra Chanchal has died. The 80-year-old singer breathed his last in Delhi on Friday and had been unwell for a while.
As per a Punjab Kesari report, he died at the city's Apollo Hospital around 12pm. He had been unwell since the last three months and was receiving treatment.
Music stars and other celebrities paid tributes to Chanchal on social media. Daler Mehndi wrote, "Deeply saddened to learn that iconic and most loved #NarendraChanchal ji has left us for the heavenly abode. In prayers for his soul to rest in peace. Heartfelt condolences to his family and legions of fans. "
Former cricketer Harbhajan Singh wrote, "Deeply saddened to learn that iconic and most loved #NarendraChanchal ji has left us for the heavenly abode. In prayers for his soul to rest in peace. Heartfelt condolences to his family."
Narendra Chachal is best known for his performances at jaagrans. He has sung popular songs such as Pyaara Saja Hai and Chalo Bulawa Aaya Hai. He has also sung songs such as Main Ni Bolna from Bobby. Last year, he went viral for his song Kitthon Aaya Corona.
Speaking to Hindustan Times about his venture into the jaagran culture, he had told HT in an interview, “I followed my mother into jagran singing. People would sit on daris (mats) then and just leave us a garland or two or a rupee in appreciation at the end. Dheere dheere malaein badhne lagi aur notes bhi.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Last year, BTS singer Jimin caused a frenzy among Indian BTS fans when he said he watched 3 Idiots.
- BTS singer V confirmed that his mixtape would feature 13 songs. This revelation has left the fandom, ARMY, in an emotional state.
- Nick Jonas has released the title track from his new album Spaceman. The singer revealed that most songs on the album are musical love letters to Priyanka Chopra.
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.
- Renowned Punjabi singer Sardool Sikander died on Wednesday. Several Punjabi and Bollywood celebrities remembered him on social media.
- BTS served a treat for their fans as they appeared on the recent episode of MTV Unplugged. RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V and Jungkook performed two tracks from their album BE, Telepathy and Blue & Grey, while covering Coldplay's Fix You.
- A new Bangtan Bomb was released today which saw RM vibing to Justin Bieber's Where Are U Now, Jin reciting Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars and Suga revealing which member he wants to give his photo card to.
- Bigg Boss 13's Shehnaaz Gill and popular rap singer Badshah are working together on a new song. Both took to their respective social media handles to share the news.