Beach bulletin: Keep it earthy, natural and organic
Summer calls for refreshed swimwear and sophisticated cover-ups, if you aim to own every beach you walk into. The new array of upgraded swimsuits come with luxe fabrication and ultra-high cut bottoms exposing the pelvage. All you need is a statement beach hat (which doubles up as your beach umbrella), a gigantic raffia tote and shell jewellery to be the czarina of the sandy shores. The high-cut monokinis were major last season too and they show no signs of fading out. However, shake things up a little with a bamboo handbag or a cane clutch - both of which are enjoying the spotlight. “I’d suggest working with natural, breathable fabrics in terms of your sun cover-ups. PVC pieces are a major hit too, and you can’t go wrong with the ubiquitous thong heels and giant sunnies,” says stylist Allia Al Rufai.
While bright hues always work beautifully for summer holidays, it won’t be off the mark to invest in a more earthy and soothing palette of pale grey, beige separates - all of which are pleasing to the eye. Stylist Edward Lalrempuia’s style mantra is “earthy, natural and organic”. He suggests opting for a cotton sundress and layering it with a linen jacket. “A nifty linen blazer too complements a pair of beach shorts. The bucket hats are a sure-shot winners as they completely cover your face from the harsh sun. In terms of footwear, you couldn’t possibly go wrong with basic slides,” suggests Edward.
Flowy fabrics like Chanderi and chiffon work stunningly for pool parties or sea side holiday escapes. Designer Anupama Dayal roots for statement prints in pop colour. “The cherry prints and vintage florals are having a moment right now and the ruffled bralette is your go-to pick. The high-cut monokini may have been a trend, but I have to admit that it’s a demanding look and one has to be impossibly fit to pull it off,” says Anupama.
Besides the muted hues, neons are make a thrilling comeback too. Stylist Mohit Rai suggests some off-kilter pairings. “Team a pair of linen trousers with a cool bikini or a short tennis skirts. In terms of accessories and jewellery, sea shells are enjoying the spotlight like never before.”
Cane clutch and raffia totes are the ‘it’ accessories of the season.
Invest in giant hats and statement sunnies.
Layer with chanderi and chiffon waistcoats.
High-cut monokinis and ruffled bralettes are having a moment.
Author tweets @dandydujour
Follow @ht for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Malaika Arora and Arjun Kapoor recently visited Kareena Kapoor Khan to meet the new baby. Malaika looked absolutely stunning in her pinstripe midi dress and matching accessories.
- Bipasha Basu’s sizzling looks from Maldives, set vacation vibes soaring high be it in a tangerine or floral print georgette kaftan by Varun Bahl and we can’t wait to let these contemporary styles jazz up our summer wardrobe without burning a hole in our pockets
- For the shooting of a new advertisement, Mira Rajput wore a gorgeous tile print mini draped ruffled dress. We are fan of this summery look.
- The 78th annual Golden Globe Awards 2021 was held on February 28. While most of the celebrities attended the show from the comforts of their home, some made it to the red carpet and flaunted their gorgeous sartorial picks. Some, however, did not make it to the best dressed list.
- As the Globes split hosts, with Amy Poehler at the Beverly Hilton and Tina Fey at the Rainbow Room in New York. There was nary a pair of sweats in sight.
- After returning from the Maldives, Shilpa Shetty stepped out for lunch with her family at her restaurant and opted to wear a co-ord set that was comfy and chic at the same time.
- For a day outing, Rakul Preet opted to wear a beautiful lemon yellow mini dress with a crop denim jacket. The actor imparted summer vibes with her ensemble and we are inspired.
- Mouni Roy is the new millennial trendsetter and these pictures of her in cool and fast fashion of tie and dye loungewear are proof
- Malaika Arora recently took to Instagram to wish her fans a happy Sunday as the actor enjoyed a lazy day at home wearing a sports bra and sweat pants.