Northeastern states have highest prevalence of tobacco use, says report
The prevalence of tobacco use was the highest in north eastern states, according to a recently released factsheet from the 2016-17 Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS 2) report.
Tripura tops the list, with 64.5% of the people either smoking or using smokeless tobacco. This is an increase of 8.6 percentage points over the state’s prevalence of 55.9% in 2009-10.
The prevalence went up in Manipur by one percentage point, in Uttar Pradesh by 1.6 percentage points, in Tamil Nadu by 3.8 percentage points, and in Goa by 0.9 percentage points. It shot up in Assam by 8.9 percentage points, from 39.3% to 48.2%.
Overall, the number of tobacco users has gone down in India by six percentage points during the six years, from 34.6% to 28.6%.
Tripura also has the highest prevalence of smokeless tobacco users, with 48.5% of people using it. With 34.4%, Mizoram had the highest number of smokers.
A total of 58.7% of the people from the state use some form of tobacco. The numbers have gone down from 67.2% in 2009-10.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Vicky Kaushal recently shared a glimpse of himself sweating it hard in the gym in order to earn his weekend cheat meal. We can say that the clip is inspiring us to start our Sunday with a fitness session as well.
- Being high in fiber and sugar content, dates or khajur often leave people speculating about whether they should be consumed after soaking over night or raw or on empty stomach or before going to bed. Read on to know when is the best and worst time to eat dates
- Katrina Kaif recently hosted an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram and shared never seen before images and videos with her fans. She also posted about her healthy breakfast and intense fitness routine.
- Aditi Rao Hydari shows you how to do weight training without actually using weights in her latest fitness clip. Saying that this video is hilarious would be an understatement.
- A study done in the USA showed that wearing masks can actually curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. However, dining at restaurants, both in open area and inside, can increase the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.
- As the new coronavirus variants spread and Covid-19 symptoms continue to increase and expand, here’s how you can locate the infection through these four kinds of skin changes