Avengers Endgame theory knows why Hawkeye looks terrified in latest trailer, predicts return of old villain
At one-minute long, the latest trailer for Avengers: Endgame might have been short in length, but it wasn’t short on detail. After spotting what could be edited out characters and figuring out the locations for secret meeting and such, Marvel fans have theories about why Hawkeye has a terrified look on his face.
A new theory, posted on Reddit, suggests that the reason behind Hawkeye’s expression (and the red light illuminating his face) is none other than Ultron, the main villain and titular character of the second Avengers movie.
In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Tony Stark and Bruce Banner created Ultron - a Frankenstein’s monster of sorts - by transmitting the consciousness of Loki’s scepter into a physical body.
The theorist gives the example of Red Skull, the main villain in 2011’s Captain America: The First Avenger, who made a surprise appearance in Avengers: Infinity War when Thanos and Gamora go to the planet Vormir. The theory goes on to say that the shot possibly comes from a scene in which Hawkeye is in his Ronin avatar. A previous trailer showed him in full costume as Ronin, possibly in a Japanese street.
It is speculated that the Decimation will bring him back from a self-imposed exile, probably because his family - who we met in Age of Ultron - was reduced to dust along with half the universe’s population.
Age of Ultron was directed by Joss Whedon, who also helmed the first Avengers movie. Whedon went on to express his conflicted emotions about the film, which he was proud of, but felt was compromised by Marvel’s demands. He refused to return for Infinity War, and departed the MCU altogether, switching over to fill in for director Zack Snyder on DC’s Justice League.
Directed by Joe & Anthony Russo, Endgame stars Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner, among others. The film is set for an April release.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Billie Eilish The World’s a Little Blurry movie review: Apple's brilliant documentary traces the meteoric rise of the music industry's most mercurial performer.
- The fans of Harry Potter star Emma Watson were shocked as a report hinted that the actor has given up her career in acting and is devoting her time to her boyfriend.
- The first teaser for director Zack Snyder's upcoming zombie film, Army of the Dead, has been released. Dave Bautista leads the cast, which also features Huma Qureshi, although she isn't seen in the teaser.
- Actor Gal Gadot has said that she was on the verge of giving up acting when she was cast in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as Wonder Woman. Read her nostalgic post.
- Kim Kardashian took to her Instagram account and remembered her father Robert Kardashian on his birth anniversary. Sister Khloe Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian also shared photos.
- I Care a Lot movie review: Rosamund Pike is in proper Gone Girl mode in director J Blakeson's devilishly entertaining dark comedy, out on Netflix.