Covid-19 active cases down, lowest new infections in over 3 months: Govt
India’s active caseload of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) has come down to 22,28,724 and cases have decreased since the last peak on May 10, according to the Union ministry of health and family welfare on Saturday. There were 173,790 cases of the coronavirus disease and 3617 deaths in the last 24 hours, which have pushed India's tally to 27,729,247, according to the health ministry’s dashboard updated at 8am.
Here’s what the health ministry said about India’s Covid-19 tally:
1. India has recorded less than 300,000 daily Covid-19 cases for 13 consecutive days. Less than 200,000 new cases of the coronavirus disease are being reported since the last two days, the health ministry said.
2. “A net decline of 1,14,428 is witnessed in the last 24 hours and active cases are now only 8.04% of the country's total Positive Cases,” the health ministry said in a release.
Also read | To end pandemic, 70% need to be vaccinated
3. The 3617 new fatalities include 973 from Maharashtra, 486 from Tamil Nadu, 401 from Karnataka, 194 from Kerala, 176 from Punjab, 154 from Uttar Pradesh, 145 from West Bengal, 139 from Delhi and 103 from Andhra Pradesh.
4. According to the ministry’s dashboard, 93,198 deaths were reported from Maharashtra, 27,806 from Karnataka, 23,951 from Delhi, 22,775 from Tamil Nadu, 20,053 from Uttar Pradesh, 15,120 from West Bengal, 14,180 from Punjab and 12,915 from Chhattisgarh.
5. India’s daily recoveries continued to outnumber the new cases for the 16th consecutive day. According to the ministry, 284,601 people recovered in the last 24 hours and that there were 110,811 more recoveries during the last 24 hours as compared to the daily cases.
6. Out of the people infected since beginning of the pandemic 25,178,011 have already recovered from Covid-19. This constitutes an overall recovery rate of 90.80%.
7. The ministry said 20,80,048 tests were conducted in the last 24 hours in the country and cumulatively India has conducted 341.1 million tests so far.
8. A continued decline in weekly case positivity has also been seem, the health ministry said. Weekly positivity rate is currently at 9.84% while the daily positivity rate has reduced and is at 8.36% on Saturday. It has remained less than 10% for 5 consecutive days now.
9. The cumulative number of Covid-19 vaccine doses administered in the country has exceeded 208.9 million on Saturday. India is the second country after the US to achieve the vaccination landmark of 200 million, according to the ministry.
10. According to the health ministry, 20,89,02,445 vaccine doses have been administered through 29,72,971 sessions based on the provisional report till 7am on Saturday.