Sign in

‘Economic D-Day’: Trump threatens 'tremendous consequences' for 'any country' helping Iran

US President Donald Trump said Wednesday he was launching a major new campaign to target Iran's economy.

Updated on: Aug 20, 2026, 07:20:49 IST
Edited by
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

Donald Trump on Wednesday announced the “most crushing economic operation” ever imposed against a country. The US President targeted Iran and warned other nations of “tremendous” economic consequences if they provided Tehran with any financial or commercial lifeline.

President Donald Trump speaks at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Washington DC, Friday, July 24, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump speaks at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Washington DC, Friday, July 24, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

“Today, I am announcing the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country. This will be economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Any country whose financial institutions, businesses, airports or government entities provide support to Iran would face “tremendous” consequences from the US, he said.

ALSO READ | 24 hours that shook UAE: Missile alert, Iran blame, trade halt

The announcement comes as the US war on Iran nears its sixth month, with no immediate diplomatic or military off-ramp in sight. The vital Strait of Hormuz is also still majorly choked off.

Trump warns countries aiding Iran

Trump did not specify what measures the US would impose on countries that continued doing business with Iran, and did not name any country other than Iran in his post.

He called for an immediate halt to alleged activities supporting Tehran, including “oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries, front companies”.

“This will be an economic D-DAY, and we need all of our Allies to stand with the United States of America to isolate, and defeat, the Iran threat,” Trump said.

He also claimed Iran’s military capabilities had been severely degraded. “Their navy is gone, their air force is destroyed, their military factories are now rubble, their currency is worthless, and their country is hanging by a thread,” Trump said. “These maniacs are on the ropes, and these HISTORIC MEASURES will cripple them and their ability to project terror worldwide.”

“IRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON,” the US president claimed.

ALSO READ | Donald Trump ‘threatened to bomb Oman’ over Hormuz deal with Iran: Report

US steps up economic pressure

Trump's latest announcement follows comments by US treasury secretary Scott Bessent last week that Washington would ramp up efforts to economically isolate Iran as part of a strategy that also includes a US naval blockade.

“It will be a combination of economic isolation, like the world has never seen before,” Bessent told Newsmax. The US treasury has also been conducting a sanctions campaign known as Operation Economic Fury. It aims to cut off Iran’s sources of funding through targeted measures.

The war began on February 28 with US-Israeli attacks on Iran. Tehran retaliated with missile and drone strikes against US targets across the Gulf.

ALSO READ | Trump says no talks scheduled with Iran, claims Hormuz ‘open and operating’

The countries supporting Iran

Russia has reportedly provided Iran with military equipment and drone-related technology while China has continued buying Iranian oil, maintaining trade ties and giving Tehran diplomatic backing.

Pakistan has supported Iran through diplomacy and efforts to push for talks, but has not provided military support.

Iran also has the backing of allied armed groups, including the Houthis in Yemen and Iran-aligned militias in Iraq, Reuters reported.

Trump's ‘draconian sanctions’ on Iran

Trump earlier said Washington had “very draconian sanctions” available against Iran.

On the Strait of Hormuz, Trump claimed, “Right now the Strait is open. A lot of boats are coming through.”

ALSO READ | Trump threatens to bomb ‘****’ out of Oman: Muscat's balancing act between US and Iran is buckling under pressure

Trump also said the situation with Iran could improve and negotiations could resume “maybe at some point”, while repeating that Tehran must not be allowed to develop a nuclear weapon. “Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. You know why? Because they'd use it. And we're not going to let them use it. So Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon, and they won't,” he said.

Iranian Parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said Tehran would not reopen the Strait until the US met commitments including lifting the blockade, releasing frozen Iranian assets and easing oil sanctions.

  • HT News Desk
    ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    HT News Desk

    Follow the latest breaking news, major developments and agenda-setting stories from India and around the world with the newsdesk at Hindustan Times. Operating round the clock, the desk brings together experienced editors, reporters and correspondents to deliver fast, accurate and contextual reporting across subjects that influence public policy, governance, business, society and international affairs. The HT News Desk covers politics, elections, government policies, the economy, business and markets, science and technology, the environment, law and order, infrastructure, education, climate issues and geopolitics, while closely tracking developments across states, institutions and global capitals. The team also leads coverage of major breaking news events, policy announcements, court proceedings, natural disasters, public emergencies and significant international developments. Reports published by the newsdesk are based on information gathered from reporters on the ground, official statements, government agencies, court records, regulatory filings, recognised institutions and other authoritative sources. Stories undergo editorial scrutiny and verification processes to ensure accuracy, fairness and relevance, and are updated as events evolve and additional information becomes available. Whether covering a key political decision in New Delhi, an economic policy shift affecting millions, a landmark court ruling or a major global event, the HT News Desk aims to provide readers with reliable, fact-based journalism that delivers not only the latest developments but also the context and analysis needed to understand their wider implications.Read More

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.