Jammu army camp attack: Militants storm into Sunjuwan base, operations on after 30 hours
Militants from the Pakistan-based outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) attacked the family quarters in Jammu’s Sunjuwan military camp on Saturday, killing two soldiers and injuring at least nine other people, including women and children.india Updated: Feb 11, 2018 11:30 IST
The army on Sunday morning resumed it’s operations, after a night-long halt, to flush out remaining terrorists of the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) from a military camp in Jammu’s Sunjuwan.
The protracted encounter began at 4.50am on Saturday after a group of JeM terrorists attacked the family quarters in the camp, killing two soldiers and injuring at least nine other people, including women and children. (LIVE UPDATES)
Special forces have been deployed to neutralise the militants holed up in a building. Four tanks are also pressed into service.
An army officer said the commandos were sanitising the area to flush out remaining ultras, if any. He also denied that through the night the holed up ultras twice opened fire on the army cordon. “It was infact a speculative fire by the army,” he added.
“The operation is on and the evacuation (of people from the family quarters) is in progress,” said Jammu-based Army PRO Lt Col Devender Anand as saying.
He said a number of families are still there and the army’s aim was to ensure their safety.
Most of the 150 houses in the complex had been cleared and the occupants moved to safety, army sources said, adding operations were being conducted with extreme caution and restraint to safeguard unarmed soldiers, women and children in the quarters.
A police officer said bodies of two of the three terrorists gunned down by the army were retrieved from the encounter site in the morning.
“The number of remaining ultras could be one or two,” he said.
Three to four heavily armed terrorists sneaked into the high security military base and were first spotted in the camp around 4.45am, a security official who had been briefed about the situation had said on Saturday night.
“ After being challenged, they rushed to the family quarters of JCOs. It is suspected that three to four militants carried out the attack, so there might be one more holed up inside the family quarters,” the official said.
Army chief General Bipin Rawat reached Jammu on Saturday to take stock of the situation.
The latest terror strike on an army camp by the Pakistan-based terrorist group came 15 months after a similar attack in Nagrota on the Jammu-Srinagar national highway, in which seven army personnel were killed.
In the Nagrota strike on November 29, 2016, a suicide squad targeted the army base killing seven personnel including two officers. Three terrorists were also killed.
This is the second time Sunjuwan army camp came under terrorist attack. In 2003, two Lashkar-e-Taiba militants had cut through barbed wires to launch the attack on the camp killing 12 soldiers and injuring nine others. The militants were neutralised after a five-hour-long gun battle.
(With PTI inputs)