MEA: Move to involve third parties in CPEC projects to be treated accordingly
MEA spokesperson Arindam Baghchi said India firmly and consistently opposes projects in the “so-called CPEC, which are in Indian territory that has been illegally occupied by Pakistan”.
The ministry of external affairs (MEA) on Tuesday said that reports about third countries entering projects of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) had been seen by the government and any such activity by any party directly infringed on India's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

MEA spokesperson Arindam Baghchi said India firmly and consistently opposes projects in the “so-called CPEC, which are in Indian territory that has been illegally occupied by Pakistan”.
"Such activities are inherently illegal, illegitimate and unacceptable, and will be treated accordingly by India," Bagchi further said in a statement.
The MEA spokesperson's statement came amid reports that Pakistan and China have decided to welcome "interested" third countries joining the multi-billion dollar CPEC, saying it was "an open and inclusive platform" for mutually beneficial cooperation.
The third meeting of the CPEC Joint Working Group (JWG) on International Cooperation and Coordination (JWG-ICC) was held in virtual mode last week.
India had earlier protested to China over the CPEC as it is being laid through Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). The CPEC is a $60 billion flagship project of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) of the Chinese government and promoted by President Xi Jinping.

E-Paper


