Bengaluru: 3 boys die after consuming food at hostel, BJP member booked
A case has been registered in Karnataka after three students died due to food poisoning at a boarding school in Tumkur.india Updated: Mar 10, 2017 01:33 IST
A case has been booked against Bharatiya Janata Party member KS Kirankumar after three students died in the early hours of Thursday of suspected food poisoning as a result of consuming food cooked at a hostel attached to a school run by him, located near Huliyar town in Tumkur district.
Police said the deceased — Akanksh and Shantamurthy, who were class 10 students and Shreyas, a student of class 8 — were students of the Vidyavaridhi International School. Apart fro the deceased, one other student is said to be in a critical condition and is undergoing treatment at the Tumkur district hospital.
On Wednesday, police said, the students consumed a meal of rasam and rice, but failed to distinguish a foul smell that was emanating from the rasam. As a result, the four students started vomiting.
Police said they were immediately rushed to a private hospital in Huliyar. But their pulse continued to dip and they were eventually shifted to the government hospital in Tumkur. However, by 1.30 am the three students breathed their last.
Isha Pant, Superintendent of Police for Tumkur district, told HT that samples of the food had been sent for analysis. She said the school authorities managed to avert a disaster by not feeding the other students the same meal.
"However, when I went to the spot, I noticed that the food was not being cooked in a hygienic manner," Pant said.
As a result, Pant said, the police decided to book the cook the assistant cook, the mess in-charge, an attendant under section 304 A of the Indian Penal Code (Causing death by negligence).
"We also decided to book Kirankumar and his wife as they are head the school management and it is their duty to ensure that things are in order in the school," Pant said.
First Published: Mar 09, 2017 10:53 IST