Special force to remove encroachments in Mumbai: Chavan
Concerned over proliferating hutments in Mumbai, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan on June 10 said a special force could be set up for removing encroachments in the city.Updated: Jun 10, 2009, 16:46 IST
Concerned over proliferating hutments in Mumbai, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan on June 10 said a special force could be set up for removing encroachments in the city.
"A special force would be created for removing encroachments if Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) demands it," Chavan informed the Legislative Council.
The Chief Minister clarified that the government would abide by the January 1, 1995 cut-off date as directed by the Court to identify authorised hutments, despite the Congress manifesto promising regularisation of hutments which came up till 2000.
"I agree that Mumbai still has encroachments and they are growing per day. The Government is going as per the Court's directive and has removed 1.5 lakh illegal huts so far," Chavan said.
Action has been taken against 24 officials, nine workers and an assistant municipal commissioner for failing to remove encroachments, he said.
The government has created a post of additional collector (encroachments) to strengthen anti-encroachment work, he added.