Striking Gulf Indians urged to join work
Nearly 200 Indians workers, who refused to work after their employer tried to deport two of their co-workers, have been urged to join back.Updated: Aug 30, 2006 17:06 IST
Nearly 200 Indians workers, who refused to work for the past two days after their Bahraini employer the Royal Tower Construction company tried to forcibly deport two of their co-workers, have been urged to join work after the company pledged to pay their salaries.
Indian Embassy second secretary R Raghunathan met the workers on Tuesday in the presence of company representatives and urged them to go back to work, according to reports.
"Royal Tower Construction has agreed to pay the workers' salaries for this and last month in two instalments," said Balkrishna Shetty, the Indian ambassador to Bahrain.
"We hope the employer will stick to his promise and abide by the labour law," he added.
Only last week, a deal was reached between the Royal Tower Construction Company and the Bahraini labour ministry regarding better pay, improved working conditions and release of unpaid salaries to the Indian workers.
"We have made a strong protest against the employer's representative who took two workers from their temporary labour camp Sunday night and had them detained separately overnight at two police stations," Shetty added.
Indian community helpers provided the workers with food after the company stopped giving food to the workers for the past two days, said the report.
All the workers are survivors of the Gudaibiya labour camp blaze last month in which 16 of their colleagues had been killed.
Meanwhile, the Bahraini labour ministry has approved a new camp for the workers.
According to the Indian ambassador, the workers would move to the new site soon.
First Published: Aug 30, 2006 17:06 IST