Crimes against women: Bengal govt contests NCRB report
The West Bengal government on Wednesday contested the statistics released by the National Crime Records Bureau, saying that it did not publish the state's disclaimer that rapes and grave crimes have declined.kolkata Updated: Jun 13, 2013 09:16 IST
The West Bengal government on Wednesday contested the statistics released by the National Crime Records Bureau, saying that it did not publish the state's disclaimer that rapes and grave crimes have declined.
"Rape incidents have come down considerably as also heinous crimes in West Bengal. But the NCRB refused to publish our disclaimer despite our communication," Director General of Police Naparajit Mukherjee told a press conference here.
"We have written to the NCRB to publish our disclaimer to remove misconception (about the crime scenario)," he said.
The NCRB has reported 30,942 incidents of crime against women in the state in 2012 as against 29,133 the year before.
Mukherjee, however, claimed situation was comparatively much better in Bengal compared to other states.
"We are very serious to curb crimes against women and swift action was taken in the last six months," he said.
Stating that life sentences were awarded in cases of rape and serious crime in Malda, Uttar Dinajpur and Haldia, the DGP said, "This shows our commitment to bring down the crime rate and atrocities against women in West Bengal in the last six months."
Mukherjee said incidents of heinous crimes dropped to 1,978 in 2012 from 2,317 of the previous year.
The DGP's statement came five days after the brutal gangrape of a college girl at Barasat in adjoining North 24 Parganas which sparked off a public outcry.
Stating that a proposal to set up a new police station in Barasat was under consideration, the DGP said that the police had already taken steps in the gang rape case.
He, however, admitted that Shibu Yadav, the main accused in the assault on three TV journalists at Barrackpore in North 24 Parganas district, was still at large.
In an apparent reference to the Barasat gangrape and assault of TV reporters, Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra said that 'stray incidents' had been reported in the state in the last two to three days with the police taking action.
"We will give chargesheet and plead in the court for awarding maximum possible punishment," the chief secretary said.
"The state government has zero tolerance on crime," he added.
First Published: Jun 13, 2013 09:07 IST